Clear all

The pick versus fingers debate.

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@electrickoolaid)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I know this has probably been asked before but i just wanted some clarification regarding the pick vs fingers thing. I've started to try to use a pick again after quite a while of just playing with thumb and fingers. Every time i pick up the pick however, after about 30mins or so i gravitate towards using my fingers.....they just seem more comfortable. I know it's all about personal preference, but am i limiting myself in what i can play just by using fingers? I play a lot of bluesy stuff and the technique i use is great for that and the tone sounds good too. The thing is I'd like to learn some Hendrix stuff but i feel that most of his songs really do require the ability to use a plectrum.............any thoughts on this?

(@maliciant)
Reputable Member

Something fast like say miserlou will be easier with a pick, but other than that, I don't feel that the use of a pick is going to amount to anything more than preference. I mostly used a pick for a long time, but I've managed to move more towards fingerstyle and oddly enough, I can sing and play finger style easier than I can strum and sing, strumming only works if the strumming matches the words closely so far, where fingerstyle you are almost constantly in motion even though it's more complicated a movement. It's always good to be able to go either way but I came from the other direction and feel that finger style is probably better than using a pick for flexibility and better sound, but for punk (for example), a pick is probably just easier.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Ages ago, I had posted the same topic. Can't find it now using the search...

Anyways, the simple answer would be to learn both. Think about it. Is learning both SO difficult ?

I am sure in this big world, there will exist a dude (or two) who may play Hendrix or any other without a plec. But that does not mean you have to do the same.

Hold the pick properly and practise slowly first. If your wrist aches, give it a good shake or take some rest. After all, 30 mins is a reasonable practice time.

You can try playing the same piece using a pick first and then your fingers (or vice versa). It will give you some serious practice and make you a very versatile player.

However two points have to be considered -

1. If you are strumming hard on steel strings, using a plectrum can save your fingers from bleeding.

2. If you are strumming on a nylon string, using a plectrum can totally sound like yuck.

But these are my personal opinions and you should always try what is best for you.

Hope this helps.

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@gerry)
Honorable Member

For most people its the other way around so consider yourself lucky. Build on your good luck and really get those fingers working well and believe me you won't need a pick. Must of the greats do it with fingers be it classical, blues or anything else. It's harder to do and widens your horizons but that's just MHO.

Gerry

Those who can't dance always blame the band.

http://www.gerrycooper.com/

ReplyQuote
(@electrickoolaid)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'll try and persevere with the pick. Like Rahul said, why not i suppose! I play a lot of blues and improvise but it was something i noticed when i was throwing in chords here and there (strumming with my thumb or fingers), the strumming part just sounds a hell of a lot better when using a pick, i suppose a lot fuller sound or something. Ive seen players play kind of both ways where the pick is cupped in the hand while the fingers are playing and then retrieved when needed....seems to be a very difficult technique to master...but like anything practice, practice, practice! ..oh i play steel string acoustic by the way.......

ReplyQuote
(@purple)
Reputable Member

Fngerstyle you can play anything you play with a pick and more. I could be wrong here but I am pretty sure Jeff Beck stopped using a pick for years. I think he had to relearn to use a pick when he finally picked one up again, so preserve those plectrum skills.

It's not easy being green.... good thing I'm purple.

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

I've always preferred using fingers on an acoustic, and plectrums on electric; its all down to what works for you.

That being said, there are times when using a pick is not the best idea (fingerstyle songs) but with hybrid picking even that could be overcome (if you're good enough! :) )

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I very rarely use a plectrum, unless I'm playing a jangly arpeggiated riff near the bridge. Let's face it, there are times when you're going to pick up a guitar and there's no plec handy - better to be able to play without one just in case!

Of course, the reverse applies - always handy to have a plec in your pocket for when the nail on your index finger breaks!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

There are no rules. Only what works for you. This has been proven over and over by the best. However, learning to do many techniques will serve you well, because in the short/medium term that is the quickest way to get timbral variety. It really takes a lot of practice and skill to do some things by certain methods. Take high speed trem picking -- much easier with a pick, yet it is possible using fingers (hint, no thumb) with a good amount of practice.

As for conventions in general: they will help noobs get started (a good thing), but after a certain point (you will know) they often end up stifling creativity.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote