The question of pinky

7 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi ,

I am a beginner and when i try playing the scales , then many times i cannot cover 4 simultaneous frets.I do use the pinky during chords but should it be used while playing scales and single notes.Most of the time i use it the note dies off or buzzes.How do you experienced people do it.(i.e. playing scales )

Thanks for good help always , :)

Rahul

(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

work that pinkie hard, get it as strong and limber as your other fingers. When you have been playing for awhile and can stretch your fingers that pinkie will come in handy for stretching over 5-7 frets.
By the way Welcome to the site

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

Practice using your pinky. It is extremely weak at first, but it will pay in spades later. The sooner you start using it, the better.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

Development of the pinky is an absolute requirement.

Not only it needs to be strong, it also need to be under control and not flail around while the rest of the fingers are being used.

Practice "walking" excercises slowly, up and down the fret with the index and pinky ( 1- 4) using a metronome.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@sparrow-aka-honor-roller)
Trusted Member

When you do these walking exercises or scales, should i be making sure that my pinky isn't touching the string below it. Say i'm playing on the E string and i'm fretting the 4th (G sharp) and my pinky is touching the a string a bit. How much does this matter? Is it something i'll have to correct?

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

You'll want to plsay as clean as possible. Let's say your next note is on that muted string your not going to hear it, see.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

Practice using your Pinky on scales and after a while it becomes very easy, hard at first just like anything else but when your Pinky is strong it will seem like how could have this ever been hard.

:D

ReplyQuote