Clear all

the value of dedication

12 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@piratelove38)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm so thankful to see that so many people here stress perseverance and dedication when learning the guitar. I started playing when I was 16 (I'm 19 now) and I could never get better because I was just constantly getting so frustrated with my playing. I was convinced that I was one of those people that just wasn't 'born' with the talent. It's only recently that I've begun to really take my playing seriously; I've started to realize just how key dedication and practice is to getting better.
I just wanted to thank everyone for being so nice, encouraging and down-to-earth on this forum (I've asked for advice on other forums, and people have been less than helpful). I feel a lot better about my playing and potential now that I've heard some of what you guys have to say. It's a godsend, seriously!

~Alma

Rock on!

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

That's great to hear, hope you keep enjoying it for a long time to come. Welcome to GN! :D

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Welcome to GN !

I am around your age and have found this site to be an invaluable inspiration for learning. And this is not even telling about the good people here.

Keep playing and enjoy.

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Welcome! :)

Glad to hear there is a teenager that is interested in something other than video games! :lol:

And you are correct about the folks here; I belong to many forums, & I can't believe the level of professionalism displayed here - it is a welcoming change!

Cheers, katmetal :)

ReplyQuote
(@embrace_the_darkness)
Honorable Member

Welcome to GN!

You're certainly right - this forum has to be one of (if not THE) most accessible forum's around on the 'net.
Everyone is here for the same reason - they love the guitar. Its what makes GN so great :)

Pete

ETD - Formerly "10141748 - Reincarnate"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Alma, good for you, just stick with it! :D

One of the most harmful words a beginning musician can hear is TALENT. Over and over we hear how certain musicians or athletes are born with incredible talent. This word is used so often that people come to believe that only certain very fortunate people are born with these amazing abilities.

Then you will hear stories how such and such famous guitarist has only been playing 3 years and is incredible. These stories are occasionally true, but rarely do you hear the whole story. I remember reading an article on Yngwie Malmsteen. He was known to get very good in a very short period of time. But Yngwie himself said that he spent almost every waking moment practicing. He may have had good teachers too. A person can advance much quicker under a good teacher than learning alone.

It is true that some people have an advantage over others. Some people are born with a sweet singing voice, while another singer is born with a voice like a frog. But both can become good singers. Listen to Tom Waits, you can bet many people told him he would never be a good singer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzKiqk2iynY

Nobody would say Tom Waits was born with the talent to sing. But he is an incredible musician and songwriter whose music has been covered by many, and many of his songs have been used in the soundtracks of movies.

Myself, I like his voice because it is so unique. :D

And I think it was Michaelangelo who said that people would not think he was so gifted if they really knew how hard he worked.

And that is the real secret. If you want to be a great guitarist or singer, you have to work for it. It is not going to come to you, you have to go after it. If you want to play in a band, you better go down to the music store and look at Musician's Wanted ads or check Harmony Central or hit the local Open Mic. You better talk to people and let them know you are looking for someone to jam with. If you just sit in your room and dream about stardom, nothing is ever going to happen.

Anyway, just stick with it. Try to organize your practices so you gain the most progress from them. If you can, take lessons, and learn to sight-read. If you can't, read good articles in magazines and sites like this. Set a goal like learning the 5 positions of the Pentatonic scale in the key of C and practice until you've got 'em down cold.

Don't listen to all this talk about talent. I had a friend who had incredible talent. Within one year of starting guitar he could play any Van Halen solo note for note, and I am not exagerrating at all. I think he was better than Eddie. But know what? After a couple of years he quit guitar and has not played in over 20 years. I think it came too easy for him, he was bored with it.

So don't let the countless hours of practice frustrate you. Someday you will look back and take joy at all those hours you practiced, I know I do. I am glad it is difficult, makes me value guitar that much more.

Just stay at it and you will get good. Mayby not like Yngwie or Eddie , but good. But who knows, you might become even better than them and everybody will talk of your great talent. :wink:

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@piratelove38)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone! :D

~Alma

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

On another thread we were discussing playing and singing at the same time. Playing bass and singing came up and I was looking up old footage of Jack Bruce of Cream. Watch this amazing video where Jack's teacher actually told him he did not have the talent to write songs at 1:21 in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Fa7drqK3M

Jack said it took him a year to get over this comment. Good thing he did, he went on to write the vast majority of Cream's hits like Sunshine of Your Love, White Room, Tales of Brave Ulysses and many, many others.

So, you can see that even a famous player like Jack Bruce was very discouraged at one time. You just have to push through that. You can't go by feelings, they come and go. Just commit yourself and push ahead and you will be alright. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@voidious)
Estimable Member

If I posted this every time I thought it about all the great posters here at GN, it would be 95% of my posts... but I just gotta say thanks to Wes for a couple great, inspiring posts here. I must've read half a dozen similar posts from you in just the past few days, too.

I might have to start saving them to a "GuitarNoise Wisdom" folder locally on my computer. ;) Cheers,

-- Voidious

ReplyQuote
(@piratelove38)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Wes,

Thanks for that video, it was very reassuring for me. I guess for the longest time I believed that all my rock 'n roll idols were somehow magically blessed or something. I'm glad I'm finally seeing straight!

~Alma

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Piratelove38, not to steal your thread, but I also would like to take this oppurtunity to thank everyone here at GN. When I started out I always wanted to blame my small hands, warped fingers, etc. This is a copout. The more I watch other guitar players, there hands are really no bigger than mine, one guy who was excellent - had smaller hands!

I'm excited because I played at a bar last Thursday (about 5 songs with the real musician) and while I wasn't perfect, I didn't get nervous. Thats' big, to me anyway. I practiced these songs a long time and practiced like I was at the bar, on a bar stool. While I was playing I still felt like I had to (REACH out) for the chords but it didn't bother me - because I practiced so hard.

I still get frustrated, but, I get past that, knowing that if I keep practicing it will come.

This person I play with, when he shows me stuff or songs, etc, I think, why did I make that so complicated?

Piratelove38, try to find people to play with - don't be intimidated, you will learn twice as fast!

I would like to personally thank, Vic Lewis, Wes Inman, Ignar, NoteBoat and everyone else. If your name isn't here it's please forgive me, but thank you also.

Regards,
Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

And I think it was Michaelangelo who said that people would not think he was so gifted if they really knew how hard he worked.
Wes, one of my all time favourite quotes :wink: :

'If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all.'

Michelangelo

Don

ReplyQuote