Clear all

Theory Or Scales???

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@mercymefan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a question for you guys who i'm sure know alot more then me lol :?

I really want to give Theory and Scales a try at learning them, but I don't know where to start so my question is......

Which one do I start with, Theory or Scales?

And which articles on this website would you recommend for me.

Please keep in mind I know NOTHING about Theory Or Scales.

Also I don't know if I need to know this, but I don't know how to read music either, so if I need to start there please point me in the right direction,

Thanks for any and all input, this site has been really helpful for me, and has made me more willing to learn things like Theory and Scales.

MercyMeFan.

(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

u dont start with one or the other they are interwined theory is basically learning what scales play well over what chord progressions. A very simplistic look at it i know but that gives you the idea. So you dont learn scales or theory. But id say check out lesson the web or get a book. Just start playing scales and know what key it and where the root notes are and you can build from there.

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Everything you do in music is based around theory. Theory is just the language and the grammar of music, so by learning scales, you are learning theory.
The centre of the (western) musical universe is the major scale. Learn how it is constructed and how to play it on the fretboard. Start with the simplest scale of all - C. It is made up of the notes C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C.
If you know the chromatic scale - C-C#-D-D#-E-F-F#-G-G#-A-A#-B-C (each note is one semitone apart), you'll see that the major scale is constructed of the "Root" (also known as the "Tonic"), followed by a note two steps further along the chromatic scale - D. The distance between the root and the second position (officially known as the "degree of scale" or, more usually, just degree) is a whole Tone (2 semitones make one whole tone). The distance between the 2nd and 3rd degrees is also a whole tone (D - D# - E). However, between E and F, there is just a semitone. So, to complete the scale, you get WWSWWWS. That sequence of whole- and semi-tones is the same for every major scale. Here's an example:
E - w - F# - w - G# - s - A - w - B - w - C# - w - D# - s - E

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Scales we use are the scales they are because of theory. By the same token, theory is what it is because of the scales we use.

I have a suggestion for a couple of books to go through in tandem to get most anyone a serious head-start on this stuff.

First: Idiot's Guide to Music Theory It does a few things really well. It has some weaknesses, but is a good general introduction to the subject.

Second:
Music Theory for Guistarists by our own Noteboat. Tom does a great job with relating this stuff to the guitar.

Lastly, I'd pick up a method book. Any method book, and learn to read music. You simply can't understand music theory if you don't read music. It's like trying to understand grammar without being able to spell any words . . . you'll never get why "to" and "too" are different words.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@mercymefan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've heard a bit about the idiots guide, now i'm starting to think I need to buy it lol.

Thanks for all the help everyone. :D

ReplyQuote