Skip to content
Time of your life, ...

Notifications
Clear all

Time of your life, is it really a begginer's song?

33 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I just started playing guitar about 3 weeks ago. I don't know any full songs, just a few riffs and licks and a few chord progressions. My chord changes are finally starting to loose the pause in between but I'm not there yet. I know the chords: C, A, G, E, D, Em, Am.

And I feel like I can't play the guitatr. Sure I can play a few chords and a few riffs but, bleh. Anyway, I thought if I learnt a song in full it would make me a little more confident. So I heard that Time of Your Life by Greenday is an easy song, and it's one I like a lot and know all the words to already. So I figured I'd give it a try - yeah right! Am I doing somehting wrong or is this too advanced of a song for now?

Thanks for your help,

Mike

Guitarjourney.net - Everything I've learned and want to learn, including chord diagrams and other information.

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Three weeks and your worried about playing a song! If you can play a song all the way through after just three weeks you'd be doing fantastic.

For most people including myself it took a lot longer than that.

I know the song your talking about but I've never tried to play it so I don't know how difficult it is, but pretty much any song at 3 weeks will seem difficult.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Welcome to GN. Great bunch of folks here.

The song looks pretty easy but I think something a little more chord driven maybe up your alley. Check the easy song database forum and beginners songs under lessons.

But then again if you like the song go for it, just keep practicing, you'll get it.

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I dont listen to green day any more.

however. if you feel like learning a song...why not.

dont set limits on yourself.

figuring out a song is a very good way to understand the guitar.

challenge yourself and dont use TABS.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Try "Horse with no name". Has to be the easyest song in the world.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Probably the reason you are having a hard time with it is because there are multiple strumming patterns that change during the song. If I remember correctly it starts with D/DUDU then switches to a base strum(B) like this BDUDU then back

You can how ever do the D/DUDU through the entire song it just won't sound perfect.
D/DUDU
G C D
Another turning point, a fork stuck in the road.

D/DUDU
G C D
Time grabs you by the wrist, directs you where to go.
BDUDU
Em D C G
So make the best of this test and don't ask why,

BDUDU
Em D C G
It's not a question but a lesson learned in time.

BDUDU
Em G Em G
It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right.

BDUDU
Em D G
I hope you had the time of your life.....

So basically whenever there is an Em in the line it is the base strum

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

I'm like the other guys in that I wouldnt discourage anyone from trying any song, but I just listened to Good Riddance (Time of your life) when you posted this. I've been considering it myself. But this isnt an easy song. Atleast not if you play it like its on the CD. Its got a walking baseline which is difficult in itself, atleast for me, and the chord changes are pretty fast.

If you do try it, then I think I would forget the baseline right now and take a small part of the song and learn that part really well. Then go to the next part.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Actually, it is mostly done by picking each note individually, goes to some strumming in the middle and back to picking. The walking bassline is part of the basic chord your forming so it's far easier then it might seem. The only problem might be the picking speed, but that can be learned by playing the patter over and over again, starting at slow pace.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Actually, it is mostly done by picking each note individually, goes to some strumming in the middle and back to picking. The walking bassline is part of the basic chord your forming so it's far easier then it might seem. The only problem might be the picking speed, but that can be learned by playing the patter over and over again, starting at slow pace.
I agree Arjen I was just trying to give him an easier way to get started that he can atleast sing along with that still has a little of the base line in it.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Glad he posted this. I think I'll give it a try to coincide recent turn of events in my life. A good song to go along with it cant hurt.

Guitar
A Beer
A song.
A tear

Cant get any better than that.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 bohh
(@bohh)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the great replies everyone! I really appriciate it. The part that's messing me up is the single picking part, but, thank you Nils. Your version gives me something that I can work with and still identify.

Thanks a lot for everyones input, I think I'm going to like it here :)

Mike

Guitarjourney.net - Everything I've learned and want to learn, including chord diagrams and other information.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Try "Horse with no name". Has to be the easyest song in the world.
Yeah, I am still working on that one :lol:

I just can't get the scraping type of sound they have on the original but it sounds good anyway.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I personally don't believe a song is too hard to learn even for a beginner. When I look at a song that's hard, I don't tell myself that I can't learn it, I tell myself that I can learn it, but I'll have to work at it more.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Time of your life is DEFINATLY VERY TOUGH if you are just a 3 week beginner.I mean i don think that you would have worked towards your fingerpicking.This song requires quite a lot of it.But if you just want to strum chords , yes , this song is easy.Do it 8)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I think I'm going to like it here :)

Mike
Yes you will and Welcome Aboard :D

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3