Clear all

Timing

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@deanobeano)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I am trying to learn a song which is in 4/4 and each beat is a quater note and the smalleat note value in a bar is a sixteenth note so do i count

1 and 2 and 3 and 4 or

1 and ? 2 and ? 3 and ? 4 and ?
If its the latter what do i say where the ? is ?

(@jasonrunguitar)
Reputable Member

Since the smallest subdivision is a 16th note, you should probably count in 16ths. There are different ways to count it, but the one that I learned is

1 e and a 2 e and a 3 e and a 4 e and a ...
(long e, as in teeth, short a, as in apple)
Hope that helps.

-Jason
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To those about to rock, we salute you!
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonwittenbach

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

While that is the way most people learn it, it's really hard to speak it out loud while working. Some folks just count by fours and start out with the beat:

1, 2, 3, 4, 2, 2, 3, 4, 3, 2, 3, 4, 4, 2, 3, 4

It's definitely easier to say. But then some folks might get lost going from measure to measure...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

While that is the way most people learn it, it's really hard to speak it out loud while working. Some folks just count by fours and start out with the beat:

It's definitely easier to say. But then some folks might get lost going from measure to measure...

Peace
:shock: What a tongue-twister! I've never been able to manage that one, but "wunnyannahtooeeannah" etc. I can cope with :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

And I can't do the "eeanah" without losing a beat and a half! :wink:

As the song goes,

"...takes every kind of people..."

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@surly)
Trusted Member

on an unrelated note, did anyone else notice that the photo of Otto next to deanobeanos post looks strikingly similar to the photo of jasonrunguitar.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Peace

I use this method, but I count it differently.... I count 1,2,3,1,1,2,3,2,1,2,3,3,1,2,3,4. Same difference, I suppose! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote