Clear all

tips of fingers

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I know that the tips of yours fingers will hurt when starting out, and after two and a half weeks they are getting hard with slight groves in them; however their kinda swollen which are making them sensitive again when I touch the strings. Are they bound to swell some or should I take a break a couple days?

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Mine never did swell.
I would take a break. Swelling can cut off circulation and cause permanant damage.
You wont be able to play very well if you have to have your fingers amputated.
EDIT: Don't waste your time away from your guitar. Study some theory like how chords are formed, take out some sheet music and practice reading notation, get to know where the notes are on the fretboard. There is plenty to keep you busy while your fingers heal up.

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member

Mine used to swell, but eventually (6 months maybe) the callouses became harder and the groves stopped as well. I usually only changed what I was practicing when my fingers became swollen, but its probably best to ease off a bit

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote
(@rollnrock89)
Reputable Member

hmm, mine never swelled.
I would maybe taking a day or two off, swelling isnt usually the best thing to be happening to you, especially if there quite sensative.
Are they like big puffy red swollen or just a little bit swollen?

The first time I heard a Beatles song was "Let It Be." Some little kid was singing along with it: "Let it pee, let it pee" and pretending he was taking a leak. Hey, that's what happened, OK?-some guy

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

their not red and puffy I would say the skin is hard and a bit swollen right where I fret at the tip not the whole top of the finger. Its almost like when I press on a string it feels kinda numb so I feel nothing, unless I press hard then there's a little pain. I don't know what to make of it since its the first time I ever played.....maybe some ice, or I can have someone who's been playing a while have a look :?:

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

mine did while so sore i used to play every third day that seemed to help

cheers

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@alasken)
Eminent Member

Mine swelled a bit, not so that there was a difference in size, but they felt tender and numb, as you describe.....I'm experiencing the same thing now again, cause I've started playing electric guitar.......I think it's a good thing, it's a sign that you're playing a lot ;)

ReplyQuote
 P0RR
(@p0rr)
Estimable Member

had the same problem & a wise man once told me to try silk & steel strings

Let it rock....

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

Joetone it sounds like you have blisters under the new callouses on the tops of those fingers. That would explain the numbness until you exert pressure. take a couple of days off and let them heal up. If you have blisters and tear on off you'll be away form playing for more than a couple of days.

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks all, any other comments would be welcome....I been reading that beginners should buy a nylon string guitar (btw never heard of silk and steel) I bought a steel string one. Can you have the strings changed to nylon?

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

You may want to just consider lighter strings.
I tried 13s on mine and it felt like I was trying to push down iron bars so I went back to 12s
You can even get extra light strings in 11s and I think even 10s
Although a steel string acoustic can handle nylon strings it would be dificult to put them on as they attach to the bridge in a different way.

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i think ernie ball makes ball-end nylons. i have a set laying around somewhere, maybe one day ill slap em on

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I have been using elixers for a long time and just switched to regular mediums and I was experiencing a lot of pain but kept practicing anyway, can't get enough lately. Finally the pain stopped and my fingertips are like pads that don't get the wire groove in them anymore the past couple days and NO more pain. Yes they are a little 'numb' but I like it. I take this as a good sign and I intend to keep going to finally get where I think they should be to be able to keep playing without pain and without the finger grooves that cause string buzzing. :D

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

hmmm, I bought the guitar on a whim now that I am getting into it I wished I would have put more thought into it. I had no idea about different size strings. My virgin fingers are probably pounding on the toughest strings :x .....BTW blisters under the calluses that have formed makes sense, thanks

ReplyQuote