too late for sucess

103 Posts
40 Users
0 Likes
13.6 K Views
(@jadiny)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

i no your probably thinking i'm being silly but at 15 am i too old for the guitar. i mean not too old but too old to suceed at anything music related. sucessful people start from a young age. i only say this because looking on the internet i see people (very good guitarists)say that they started when they were five. ifeel maybe cause im learning now i'll never be as good or skilled as them when i'm young. i may be skilled but too old or late for any one to take any real notice.

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too, can become great.

--Mark Twain

(@weedyrs)
Eminent Member

this is 100% not true. alot of people have started from a young age, but its not like people who start later in-life can't become as good at playing an insturment, it is easyer to learn when your younger, but being 15 does not limit you in any way.

its all about how much you practice and put into it.

ReplyQuote
(@strife)
Eminent Member

don't get yourself down dude. i felt the same way a while ago. i started about 5 months ago not even knowing how many string a guitar had and wondering what those funny knobs were for for... granted im not great now but i feel that i could definatly have a future with guitar if a practiced enough. oh ya i just turned 16 and picking up guitar came pretty easy to me i had trouble but kept practicing. dont get youself discouraged !!! just keep going

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Success has no age limits.

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I started when I was 16, I'm 21 now and have been in a band for about a year and a half, I like to think we're pretty succesful but beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

You can start now and be a millionare tommorow, there are no rules

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

Not true at all, it depends how hard you want to work at it. You have a whole lifetime to play, do you think starting 5 years earlier or later really matter as long as you work at it? I started at 20, and a lot of people on this forum started in their 40's / 50's.

I think Wes Montgomery didn't start until he was in his 20's. I say go for it...15 is a perfect age to start. Good luck!

Dustin

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@morpheus)
Trusted Member

I have met several professional musicians who did not start until they were in their twenties. My personal dream is to make it my retirement job. And I did not start until I was twice your age.

Heck, if your teenage years are anything like mine were, you have a lot of time to spend getting better.

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

IMO, you are looking too too far ahead.
Work on being a better guitarist and you will be surely rewarded.

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@jonetoe)
Reputable Member

If you think your too old at 15, then I guess you would call me a raving lunatic to start at 50....if I believed age mattered I would say your too young, but I would never say that

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

In a way the guy is correct. Let's face it: if you start at the age of 15 you're probably not going to rock around in the big stadiums by the age of 18. The chances of being a famous musician are already slim by the time you're born, and get smaller every year you wait before starting.

So we could start by accepting that none of us will probably be the next [fill in Hendrix] and 99,9% of the world will never hear of our guitar playing. When you've accepted this you can move on to:

Who cares about all this: you play because it's fun, and the rest is a bonus. Play, learn, practice, get in a band, make sure the rest of your life (education, job, whatever) doesn't suffer too much, practice more, go out and perform in some bar, go home, etc. Maybe you'll actually be famous in your part of the world, maybe not. As long as you like playing itself you really shouldn't worry too much about it.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Wes Montgomery was one of the finest jazz guitarists, and really developed the style of playing improvised lines in octaves. He started when he was 19, so you have a four year head start :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Ah the questions of youth....

How about this one? What is success?

For instance, I'm a successful musician measured by my own standards. I don't make a living at it. But making a living at it isn't part of my definition of success.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Nick: I guess people of my age would consider succesfull playing in all the large stadiums all over the world with a huge wall of marshall amps (might use the v-amp behind the scenes but that wall just looks awesome) a rack of 20 guitars just to show how many i've got and a huge ammount of groupies. Would be fun if I could actually play, but that's less important. :D

ReplyQuote
(@jadiny)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

yeh i would consider sucessful to be able to be in a band doing vocals and play guitar. but alot of good musicians tend to start early in life thats all. i couldn't possibly make the big time by the time im 24 could i. is it possible if i put the work in.

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions small people always do that, but the really great ones make you feel that you too, can become great.

--Mark Twain

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

One thing I've noticed about pro musicians - they just go out and do it. They make the music they need to make, and when things come up beyond their control, they just keep on going.

One thing I've noticed about coulda/shoulda/woulda been pro musicians - they don't go out and do it. They embrace the things that are outside their control as a free pass to whine about how unfair it all is.

There's no perfect age, no perfect equipment, no magic. There's just you. You may try and succeed, you may try and fail; if you don't try - well, the outcome is certain.

Do people who make it just get lucky? Sure. Luck's a huge factor... being in the right place at the right time with the right band, etc. But you know what?

Chance favors the prepared.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 7