Notifications
Clear all

Travel Guitar or Not

34 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@spides)
Estimable Member

I like the idea of boning up on theory while you're there. One week of solid theory a month and you'll be a master blaster in no time. Although theory definitely IS something you need to keep up with. Don't do it for a while and it becomes very much like trigonometry and Algorithms, something you vaguely remember learning but can't remember anything about.

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

ReplyQuote
(@bailey)
Eminent Member

Hi kevinbatchelor77, You just take some useful notes for your 5 days travel, it will help you to keep and make up your abilities of playing guitar. Hope this will help you.

Happy Journey!

Hotstrings: Learn the GUITAR- without learning all the notes...

ReplyQuote
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Guys thanks for the advice. Has anyone used a shredneck? It seems to be a neck only for running scales. I think it is the first 7 frets. If anyone has used one do you think it would be an alright substitute for a guitar for a few days?

Also, I saw a travel guitar by KTone on e-bay at a fairly cheap price. Has anyone heard of this? I can't find a website for the company.

ReplyQuote
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Just found out my travel has up'ed to 3 weeks a month for the next 4 months. I'm heading to buy a travel guitar tomorrow at the local GC.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Just found out my travel has up'ed to 3 weeks a month for the next 4 months. I'm heading to buy a travel guitar tomorrow at the local GC.

Absolutely the right thing to do, IMO. 5 days is enough - but 21 days? Impossible to last that long without a guitar! Although in the last 5 years or so, I've been guitarless for that long a couple of times....once with a broken arm, once with a severed tendon. And that's probably the only way I'd be without a guitar for 21 days!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I think learning theory while you travel is a great idea. It would certainly help you find your way on the guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

If you dare to look beyond the guitar world, there are many small yet equally challenging and fun to play instruments.

I'm with Rahul.

5 days is unlikely to make a huge amount of difference to your guitar playing - you're certainly not going to have some sort of major backslide. In fact I've found that a short break to let things settle a bit in the brain can sometimes prove quite beneficial. I would also suggest that if you buy a travel guitar it will in many ways be a different instrument anyway - different size, scale length, width, feel, sound etc. You'll have to adjust to a whole range of things, and then re-adjust back again when you got home. Not that big a deal in itself, but you might find that if you cast a slightly wider net, as Rahul suggests, then you might find other small things that would also fit the bill.

It probably boils down to how much you're going to miss it, and whether you'll be missing your regular guitar in particular, stringed instruments generally, or making music overall.

If it was me I'd probably take my clarinet - they pack up pretty small, in pretty sturdy cases - and a good book on music theory. But there's quite a choice if you look around.

EDIT: Ha! I just discovered the bit where the travel got upped to three weeks out of four. Very different now.
For three weeks I'd be towing a trailer with a small orchestra packed in it, and if possible taking a roadie and some other players as well.
:mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

EDIT: Ha! I just discovered the bit where the travel got upped to three weeks out of four. Very different now.
For three weeks I'd be towing a trailer with a small orchestra packed in it, and if possible taking a roadie and some other players as well.

Yep, me too. But what about the groupies? Oh please let there be groupies.......

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

So, what'd ya get at GC today to solbe the problem?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Yep, me too. But what about the groupies? Oh please let there be groupies.......

Vic

Vic,

I have zero experience with groupies. But I don't think you need to pack them. Apparently, it's more like being a travelling chef - you just carry your basic equipment with you and then cook up something with local ingredients when you hit town.... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

So, what'd ya get at GC today to solbe the problem?

I purchased the Traveler Guitar Speedster. Its a total of 28 inches and I can pack it directly in my suitcase, gigbag and all.

It plays nicely and the neck feels pretty good. The body is going to take a little getting use to when setting down but standing up with a strap the body is not too bad. I have noticed that when playing pieces with big bends (been playing some Albert King stuff) it does not hold tune extremely well but since it is just a practice tool while I am on the road I'm not too concerned :) I think it will do the job! I also got a pretty good deal on it. It lists for $499 but the GC price was $349. I did better than that though. I found one with a small nick on the body and got them to take off another $75 :)

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

This the one? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traveler-Speedster-Travel-Electric-Guitar?sku=518703 You going to plug it into anything?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@kevinbatchelor77)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

This the one? http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traveler-Speedster-Travel-Electric-Guitar?sku=518703 You going to plug it into anything?

That's it... I will probably pick up a small amp for travel. My first trip is coming up so I will probably not plug it in on my first trip.

ReplyQuote
(@firewater)

If you are looking for a small travel amp.I have heard very good things about the roland micro cube,I have the cube-60, and it's pretty nice, been thinking about getting a micro for myself.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

You might want to consider a little headphone amp / modeler instead of a real amp. I've got the older model of Traveller guitar and an old Korg Pandora. My old Pandora's amp models are ok in headphones but a little cheesy through a real amp. The newer Pandoras and the other newer modelers (Pocket Pod, etc) all are much better.

When I travelled for business this was a great little combo to take with me. It was pretty small and the Pandora would fit into one of the pockets on the guitar bag. I also had a set of noise canceling headphones with me that I used on the airplane that I could also use with the Pandora so no extra headphones to carry. That combination has literally been around the world with me.

As an aside, if you do fly a lot for business the noise canceling headphones are a great thing to take - they really do cut the apparent volume of the engines. That lets you listen to the movie or your music at lower volumes - this seems to tire me out less. Sleeping with them on is nicer too if you get the over the ear kind of headphones. The only thing I wish they would do as well is cut the sound of crying babies.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3