0 Likes
(@bustin40)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the help

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I have two guitars a Strat and a jackson that have a whammy bar. I don't use them and never put them on the guitar but I don't have a problem with either going out of tune. Your going to need to tune the guitar everytime you play anyway. . You shouldn't have much of an issue with staying in tune if you don't use the bar. It's only when you use it alot that the strings tend to detune.

If the guitar she likes comes with it just don't put it on at least this way if she ever gets the desire to use one she can just screw it on.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

My Strat has a whammy that I leave connected (I rarely use it, but it comes in handy sometimes during an improv session) and the guitar only goes out of tune if I'm wailing on the bar. If I use it a little bit, it stays tuned and, like I said, I almost always leave it screwed on. It'll be fine.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Doesn't matter. If it has a standard trem, reomove the back cover plate, tighten the screws inside til the bridge sets flat. Take the bar and put it in the case, never touch it again. This is how I keep my standard trem guitars in tune. It works well for me.

Seriously, standard trems don't stay in tune, that's why they invented the Floyd Rose. Just don't use it and it will stay in tune fine.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Then again, a FR can be a total pain oin the back, so if you don't use it, get one without it. Better sustain, more stable, easier to restring and tune. I wouldn't advice on a $200 with a FR by the way.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

And that's why I don't own a Floyd. My point was, a standard trem with the springs tightened is the same as a fixed bridge. Strat style Ibanez guitars in the price range mentioned will have a standard trem. It's OK .. just don't use it and you will be fine.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

My first electric - Squier Strat - came with a tremolo arm. After fooling around with it a little, and making some, er, interesting noises, I noticed it was way out of tune. Tuned back up, tried it again - just a few notes - and it was way out of tune again. Took it off, never used it again.

That's one side of the coin. A lot of good players - quite a few GREAT guitarists, in fact - love their whammy bars, and wouldn't be without them. The only way you can be certain is to try the guitar with and without....see which you prefer. If you buy a guitar that comes with one, it's a matter of seconds to unscrew it and take it off if you don't like it.

Trial and experience....the only answer. (at least in this case!)

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@bustin40)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanx all

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Either amp would be great. As for that whammy .... if it goes out of tune just don't use it. It's that simple. Nice beginner axe. She will love it.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

i'm not a fan of whammy bars, but the floyd rose, or a wilkinson are the way to go, from what i've been told 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote