Clear all

Tremelo Picking?

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Can someone give me some advice or technique on tremelo picking, please?

(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

thats a pretty vague question what exzactly ru looking to know..id say just practice it will come it just one of those things just slowly devopled on its on if u practice

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

Seems like a pretty darn specific question to me....

Anyway I know virtually nothing about it but I reckon you have to hold the pick loosely with just a little bit of tip sticking out. Try not to use too much power picking the string. Anchor the heel of your hand and keep the hand movements as small as possible. DUDU etc. Practice. Voila.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Well, we use tremolo in Classical guitar playing so here goes:

Finger a chord - any chord - let's say Am

Lose the pick

Put your index, middle and ring fingers on say the 2nd string, and your thumb on the 5th string

Play the 5th string and then play the 2nd string three times using the order a-m-i - yep, ring finger first.

Repeat until agony sets in.

Things like Recuerdos de la Alhambra, Romanza, Pachelbel's Canon, use lots of tremelo. On fact, RDLA is simply a four minute exercise in tremelo at around 126 bpm - yes, 504 notes per minute.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@aroundtheclaxon)
Estimable Member

i have a feeling he was talking about a different kind of tremolo picking a la Eruption

Head Arcitech at Vandelay Instudries

ReplyQuote
(@audioboy)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well either way thatnks for the advice...ill try it

ReplyQuote
(@sparrow-aka-honor-roller)
Trusted Member

You really have to tense up your arm. Flex your bicep, and angle the pick slightly. You have to have the tension in your arm but not in your hand. At first you'll be vibrating from the elbow basically and it's hard to get a steady rhythm. But keep practising and don't let the elbow get too sore. You're goal should be to have tremolo picking be very similar to normal picking, so you may want (well, you should definitely be doing this at some point) to alternate between chords and picking a single string, string skipping and tremolo picking power chords, octaves. try on any string 6 6 0 5 5 0 3 3 0 2 2 0, or on the high e a pattern like 0 7 0 4 0 10 0 7 0 8 0 5 0 12 0 8 0. It's something to fool around with while learning this, you're timing won't be perfect at first, i'm still working on that myself.

Pretty good
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Guitar:Tremolo_Picking
Not the greatest video, but should help some.
http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques/tremolo-picking/index.php

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

You really have to tense up your arm. Flex your bicep, and angle the pick slightly. You have to have the tension in your arm but not in your hand. At first you'll be vibrating from the elbow basically and it's hard to get a steady rhythm. But keep practising and don't let the elbow get too sore.
No, don't do that. It's just like regular picking, but faster. A metronome can really come in handy for this, because you can start at a slow speed playing four notes per click (or whatever you like) and slowly speed up. Your grip should be the same (assuming you were doing it right in the first place) and so should your motion.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

There will be a bit more tension in your arm, but you shouldn't 'really tense up' - that will just tire you out. You need a firm grip on the pick and a very short motion - barely clear the string before reversing direction.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote