Notifications
Clear all

Trouble fretting chords

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@buckaroo_barnesai)
Topic starter  

Hi, I'm having some trouble with fretting chords. Often, one of my fingers will unintentionally touch a string when it shouldn't and ends up muffling it. Or when one of my fingers is two or more frets away from the other, I have trouble putting enough pressure at both spots. I make sure my fretting hand is arched forward a bit while keeping my thumb behind the neck, but I'm still having problems.

Also, how would you position the fretting fingers for this chord?

--5--
--5--
--x--
--7--
--7--
--5--

I tried to lay the index finger across all 6 strings at fret 5 while laying the ring finger across two strings at the 7th fret, but it keeps turning out as 577xxx or 57xxxx. Or if I use two fingers to fret the 1st, 2nd & 6th string, I have a very hard time keeping them in place while trying to fret the rest of the chord. The latter way looks--and feels--very awkward anyway. I'm tempted to use my thumb on the 6th string, but I keep reading that it should stay behind the neck (for speed reasons).

Thanks in advance

lars
(@lars)
Noble Member

I would say the (my) standard way to finger this would be as you mention, a barre across 5th fret and then use my middle and ring finger for the 7th fret on 4th and 5th string.
However that would give you a A minor chord - what you are looking for is perhaps a "power chord type" a chord with no 3rd. then you can just as well skip the 1st and 2nd string and use your index on the 6th string and again middle and ring finger on 4th and 5th and strum only these three strings.

If you want all strings to sound you have to decide whether you want a A minor 577555 or a A major 577655 chord.

Using your thumb for playing chords should be OK in general I think - akward for this one though. I use it for chords like this 2xx342 (Ebm/Gb)

Just my thoughts - disclaimer: not into power chord thinking - I prefer fretting all strings and strum the strings I need.

Lars

...only thing I know how to do is to keep on keepin' on...

LARS kolberg http://www.facebook.com/sangerersomfolk

ReplyQuote
(@buckaroo_barnesai)
Topic starter  

577555 sounds close enough, though it seems as soon as I try barring the 7th fret, it's causing my other finger on the 5th fret to lift up a little.

That whole chord is just strummed, with no distortion/overdrive. It's from "A Reflection" by The Cure (a slow & simple instrumental--should be ideal for a beginner like me).

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I'd barre the 5th fret with the index finger, 4th finger on the 4th string, 3rd finger on the 5th, and then you have a choice. Either let the 4th finger lean over a little and mute the 3rd string, or use the middle finger (which isn't doing anything).

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@buckaroo_barnesai)
Topic starter  

Ahhh, much better. Thanks!

ReplyQuote