Clear all

Trouble with B & F chords

21 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@kareemsoda)
Topic starter  

Am I the most absolute beginner here :?:
Anyways I am having a real tough time with the B and F chords.
What is the trick to properly getting one finger on two strings at one time?
I cannot do it both accurately AND quickly.
HELP!!

(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Fmaj is one of the hardest for beginners to form; Bmaj or any A-shape chord runs a tight second. You can't rush them. Slow down and make them carefully. Speed will come in time.

Keep practicing the Fmaj until you can find the right way to position your fingers. It's trial, error, time and practice. I never believed the seasoned pros when they said I'd eventually get it like they all did. Well, they weren't lying. :wink:

As for the Bmaj, the same holds true for barring the 2nd fret as for the Fmaj... trial, error, time and practice. Barring the 4th fret on the D G B strings without making the G#Ab on the 1st string ring is altogether another matter unless you have Gumby fingers and can bend your ring finger. So just mute the 1st string. You already have F#/Gb at the 2nd fret 1st string.

I hope that helps. If not and I've totally misinterpreted your question... :oops:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The trick is practice! :D

Sometimes the problem is the barre but also that you are using all your four fingers simultaneously. The 7th chords helped me because you only use three (or two) fingers, so the middle can help to the index with the barre and you don't have to worry about the position of several fingers.

Minotaur gave very good advices.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

In practical terms at least for most people playing rock the Bmaj can just be made with a double barre it's very simple and later on you will be using it when you are using sus chords. Your not going be able to hit them easily using the index barre and three fingers.

As Minotaur mentioned muting the high E string is OK and you will with time be able to bend that ring finger to lift it off the high E but 99% of the time it's not going to matter.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Minotaur gave very good advices.

Thanks. :)
As Minotaur mentioned muting the high E string is OK and you will with time be able to bend that ring finger to lift it off the high E but 99% of the time it's not going to matter.

This is why I've come to realize why it's so important to know the fretboard, and the notes that make up a chord, not just where to put your fingers. Moreover, it answers a question I asked a teacher... what do you do if you break a string while playing? He said you have to know where else you can make that chord, and that comes with kowing your fretboard and your chord notes. This time I cheated; I visualized the chrd and then checked my fretboard chart for verification. :wink:

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I've never had that happen yet but someday it probably will at least during practice and I'll see how it goes. depending on which string were to break etc. it still might not be that easy to jump to another chord and still keep going without missing a beat but the only chance you'll have is if you know the fretboard.

I was in some bar down In NC a few years back and there was a young kid about 20 or so who was an excellent guitar player (supposedly ZZ Top was going to help fund him) anyway he was playing in the house band and was playing the solo to Freebird which really can play well when one of his strings broke. Kept on playing like nothing ever happened.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@kareemsoda)
Topic starter  

Any suggestions about positioning my hand, and/ or positioning the guitar? It seems like there is qa great deal of stress on my wrist.

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

I started learning the guitar 2 years ago.
Finally, I am becoming proficient forming an F chord.
But then I started at the age of 55.
And I imagine it's alot harder for me to do ANYTHING.

I never learned or used the two string barre though.
I use the whole index finger to barre all six strings.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The thumb must be behind the neck and no over the neck. That is the one suggestion about positioning the hand.

At the beginning it is normal the stress on the wrist and the hand. You are using the muscles in a different way. If you feel pain, rest for a few moments. You must avoid the injuries.

But don't worry about those chords, you will play them with practice soon.

Try to add just one or two in each new song. I used to recommend 'Hotel California', it is a beautiful song and it has a couple of barre chords.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I think it's common for me to struggle with a certain chord type, find a type even harder and then be able to go back and hit the one I was struggling with before, easier. Then again, I'm not sure how my brain works. I can add Scrabble scores up easier than I can count a word's score. :roll:

Oh, B and F are tough chords to deal with. I did the easy F early on just so I can keep time with songs I wanted to learn. I'm about to the point where I can pick and choose which chord the song sounds better to my ears with and use that, or use the one that works best with where I was and where I'm going. Now the B. Mine is horrible and only got worse after putting .11's on there instead of '10s. In all fairness, I didn't file the nut down yet. Still....

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

I've never had that happen yet but someday it probably will at least during practice and I'll see how it goes. depending on which string were to break etc. it still might not be that easy to jump to another chord and still keep going without missing a beat but the only chance you'll have is if you know the fretboard.

I was in some bar down In NC a few years back and there was a young kid about 20 or so who was an excellent guitar player (supposedly ZZ Top was going to help fund him) anyway he was playing in the house band and was playing the solo to Freebird which really can play well when one of his strings broke. Kept on playing like nothing ever happened.

It definitely takes skill and talent, no doubt about that. I'd probably die a thousand times if it happened to me playing in public.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

House of the Rising Sun works perfectly well with the baby F (xx3211). Imagine works well with Fmaj7 instead of F in the intro and verses... C Cmaj7 Fmaj7 (x03210). In fact, there's a lot of songs that don't need the full Fmaj sound, just a lighter sound.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Oh my, I'm being a pest today with pics, and I was going to take time off, a break? :shock:

I can not play F and B chords either, after 40 years, and have always barred them.

But one doesn't have to pass on their own bad habits, so this isn't me? :lol:

John shows your classic barre in '65, and I'm corrected - Sonic blue!

He got this near identical Strat after George beat him to it. 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@kareemsoda)
Topic starter  

I started learning the guitar 2 years ago.
Finally, I am becoming proficient forming an F chord.
But then I started at the age of 55.
And I imagine it's alot harder for me to do ANYTHING.

I never learned or used the two string barre though.
I use the whole index finger to barre all six strings.
I turned 54 today :oops:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I turned 54 today

So, you're in the same age bracket as a lot of us then....just remember, you're never too old to have fun. I can think of one member here - Chris C - who started playing at age 58. He struggled at first, but threw himself into it, and learned other instruments as well. He's started writing songs, with a lot of positive feedback, and practised harder and harder as a result. He's still not in the Clapton or Beck bracket, and he's about 62-63 now - but hell, he's a trier, and we all love a trier.

No matter how bad you think you are now, you're probably better than you think you are - and you CAN get better, with hard work and practise. Worked for me; worked for Chris C; worked for a lot of other members here too. So, keep doing what you're doing - it WILL take over your life after a while. Or is that just me? No, looking at some of the friends I've made here, it ISN'T just me - there's a lot of us about!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2