Clear all

Trying to contain my enthusiasm

10 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

... and please don't think I'm sucking up, but it's almost like it's too good to be true that this site exists. In the past week, I've picked up more tips and tricks from here from people more than willing to share, than I have in several months. Really...

Thanks, thanks, thanks.

I just had to say that. Now carry on. :lol:

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

+1

This is a great site. Almost every thread can teach you something. You will learn about the members with the time. Sometimes I read an entire thread because somebody has posted a comment.

And don't forget the articles in the main site. GN is not only a forum. Those articles have enough info to maintain you entertained several months!

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

... and please don't think I'm sucking up, but it's almost like it's too good to be true that this site exists. In the past week, I've picked up more tips and tricks from here from people more than willing to share, than I have in several months. Really...

Thanks, thanks, thanks.

That's basically what I thought back in 2003 when I Googled "guitar lessons".....and it's got better since! There really is a wealth of information here, and if you can't find what you're looking for, ask, and someone will answer.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

And don't forget the articles in the main site. GN is not only a forum. Those articles have enough info to maintain you entertained several months!

Oh yes sir, indeedie! That's how I stumbled in here. I stumbled on the lesson for Heart Of Gold, and the rest, as they say, is history. :D

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

That's basically what I thought back in 2003 when I Googled "guitar lessons"
Same here when I googled the exact same thing in 2005. Only, I put the guitar down after a few short months and just picked it back up again a few weeks ago.

Though, for a beginner, it is almost information overload there is so much here. It can be difficult to know where to start and easy to start too much at one time (one of my problems back in 2005).

An absolute beginner (like me) I would recommend joining this site and hang out in the forum, but I would recommend also finding a site that has a "Lesson 1".... "Lesson 2".... "Lesson 3".... etc style to it. That way you stick with some basic stuff and move through until you have the basics. Then you understand more when visiting this site and it isn't so overwhelming.

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

... and please don't think I'm sucking up, but it's almost like it's too good to be true that this site exists. In the past week, :lol:

I know how you feel! Now, I'm trying to give back a little by posting to the "EASY SONG" database but it's not that easy! I really respect the people that do this well! When I try to come with strumming patterns it's difficult because doing it is easy but trying to explain it is the hard part. I hate to just throw a song out there with no effort on my part.

I have a friend who's been playing for years and his advice to me is: "JUST KEEP PRACTICING" - sound familiar?

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Seems to me that if you Google "Best Guitar related website-best guitar related community", GN should be first and only site listed. :D :D :D

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

... and please don't think I'm sucking up, but it's almost like it's too good to be true that this site exists. In the past week, :lol:

I know how you feel! Now, I'm trying to give back a little by posting to the "EASY SONG" database but it's not that easy! I really respect the people that do this well! When I try to come with strumming patterns it's difficult because doing it is easy but trying to explain it is the hard part. I hate to just throw a song out there with no effort on my part.

I have a friend who's been playing for years and his advice to me is: "JUST KEEP PRACTICING" - sound familiar?

Bob Jessie

I know what you mean; take a little, give something back. Learn something, teach someone something else. I have the same trouble writing down strumming patterns; I can hear them clearly enough in my head, but translating them to paper, or in this case Notepad, is a different thing entirely. Maybe because my particular strumming style is a little idiosyncratic - I don't keep a rhythm going all the time, I tend to strum when I have to - somehow, it works for me! But I'm sure if anyone has a question on a strumming pattern you've posted (or NOT posted, as the case may be!) someone with a better knowledge of said patterns will come along and sort it out.

I feel guilty sometimes posting half a song - hey, here's the chords, work the rest out for yourself! - but I feel it's better to give someone a nudge in the right direction and let someone else step in with the strum pattern, if needed, rather than try and post it myself and lead you all up the garden path!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Thanks, thanks, thanks.

Yeah...ditto from the Cat!

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

Oh yeah. I too have learned alot from here! I have never taking actual guitar lessons. I was reading alot when i found this site. Been here ever sense. Sometimes you'll see a post that is related to your situation. These forums are great for that!

ReplyQuote