Notifications
Clear all

Trying to learn how to play the guitar.

11 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@neophyte32)
Topic starter  

Thanks to my job as a marine biologist, I’m currently stationed in Peru and have to stay for more than three years doing some research. My co-worker is a beautiful local whom I admire and have been flirting with for quite some time now. A mutual friend of ours suggested playing one of her favorite songs on the guitar and in an attempt to woo her, I’m trying to learn how to play the instrument. Aside from serenading her, are there other gestures that Lima women generally find impressive or can convey feelings of attraction? I really want to make her my girlfriend, but I’m too shy to try a more forthright approach.

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Welcome to Guitar Noise.

So....

Do you want to learn good music skills or are you looking for dating advice?

The music we can do, the dating advice not so much.

I hope it works out. In the meantime, there are very good musicians here that get you going on learning how to play your guitar. There is a lesson section, collaboration area and several ways to challenge you.

Go get'm!!!!

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@neophyte32)
Topic starter  

Can you at least give me some guitar pointers? I not very adept to playing the instrument.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

What CAN you do so far?

Learn some chord shapes - grab a Chord Dictionary from your App store

Get hold of the music to a few songs - Tab sites will help and a Google search reading "<song title> tab" always brings back a shedload of results

Put the two together. Then ask your lady what is her favourite song.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@unleashedfury)
Eminent Member

While I am not the person to give relationship or dating advice, because I suck at relationships *ask my 2 ex wives*

I will say this, be yourself, if she's not interested in the person you truly are, its a waste of time, If a woman that I was interested in said they would find me much more attractive as a RAP or Freestyler, and not a guitar player, I wouldn't pursue it. While both require a talent that I could possibly learn. Its not in my interests and I wouldn't have my heart into it.

If you want to play guitar because you are looking for a way to express yourself as a artist to tell a story, or express your emotions through an instrument, make lifelong friends and have a fun hobby, maybe even do some moonlighting as a artist. Yes do it.

For starters you are at a great site with a huge amount of information. there is a complete beginners guide, and the information grows from there. An App for your phone was already stated to show you chord shapes. and basic patterns there is a ton of free ones try one you like and run with it.

Also if your a visual learner, there is handful of YouTube Channels that dedicate themselfs to guitar instruction. while you don't get the feedback you would from a real instructor. Its free and at your pace. Its great when your just struggling to figure out a pattern and you watch someone else do it. Plus if your looking to serenade her I am sure you are hoping for some sort of happy love song kinda thing. Almost all good ballads are able to be played with the Beginner Open Chords, which is a misleading term. You do almost always learn the open chords first. But they are used in so many songs and they are really not beginner chords they are a staple of guitar playing.

ReplyQuote
(@alistair)

well i am sorry but you can;t learn guiter like this you have to join acadmey for it you have to take rgular clases for it

ReplyQuote
(@thomfrommysoace)

I'm not so good on the dating advice but, I can help you on the guitar stuff lol

Here's a good video I was forwarded on beginner chords that sound sexy that anybody could virtually play: https://youtu.be/zawWrwtfJmQ

Anyways, hope this helps!

ReplyQuote
(@nethanpaul)
Eminent Member

I am also learning to play guitar and came across this thread. Following the pointers discussed here. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
 Hns
(@hns)

Maybe it would be better to find a teacher. I also learned guitar for a couple of years by myself. But I failed that it was difficult to make improvement. Then I found a teacher and learned from him for a couple of lessons. He corrected me a lot of skills and I found myself improved a lot. Now I can play a lot of songs.

ReplyQuote
(@mopa9000)

Maybe it would be better to find a teacher. I also learned guitar for a couple of years by myself. But I failed that it was difficult to make improvement. Then I found a teacher and learned from him for a couple of lessons. He corrected me a lot of skills and I found myself improved a lot. Now I can play a lot of songs.

Can you at least give me some guitar pointers? I not very adept to playing the instrument.

ReplyQuote
(@rockyroad)

Depends on your location.
If you've never played a guitar before, then you probably should look for a teacher. Have a look at your local forums.
Though you can try some youtube guides as ThomFromMysoace mentioned. But as I see his link is unavailable, and I'm not sure if I can leave any links here. But a really good youtube channel is Creative Guitar Studio with Andrew Wasson, he is great at explaining things. In the same time, you should learn theory from a book/website where you can read the content as many times as you like and at your own pace.

Also, just remembered, Justin Guitars is a good channel too.

“Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.” ― Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote