Clear all

tuner

13 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@smiller4597)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

This is a new Squire Strat. I have two electronic tuners but it just doesnt sound right to me after I tune with them. The only way my guitars sound right to me is to tune strings to each other with harmonics (plus I have 6 children and there is no place in my home, or even town that is quiet enough to tune with a tuner). checked some of the adjustments and they are not within specs. I am going to take it in and have it set up right.

Sorry! this should have been under "tuning problems"

(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

You also may want to invest in something like a Boss TU-2 tuner.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

It sounds like the intonation is off which is probably caused by other things being off. If you don't want to tackle the setup yourself it would be worth taking it in for a full setup. Best investment you can make.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

(plus I have 6 children and there is no place in my home, or even town that is quiet enough to tune with a tuner).

Korg makes a chromatic tuner that has an input jack for electric/bass. It goes for $15-$20. Noise is not an issue.

oktay

ReplyQuote
(@smiller4597)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

My tuners have input and output jacks but I still pick up noise through the pickups

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

My tuners have input and output jacks but I still pick up noise through the pickups
Are they actually acting like a microphones or is it the noise causing string vibration.

If it is string vibration then do what I do. I mute the string, pluck it, read the meter real quick and mute it again.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@smiller4597)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

pickups are acting like microphones. I can place my hand over all the strings and the needle bounces all over the place. I can usually get 2 or three strings tuned before one of the little noise makers comes screaming down the hall. I found that my low E and A strings sound out of balance when I pick them alone. I need to find someone who knows what they are doing to set this thing up right for me. The excessive noise around here is just one of the reasons I need to tune by harmonics, I can put my headphones on and crank it up.

ReplyQuote
(@smiller4597)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

BTW Nils, your site is great! I use it everyday and am learning tons! Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like the mic in the tuner still works when it's plugged in. May need a different tuner. Some tuners jump all over the place and are difficult to interpret, anyway.

Harmonic tuning won't get you on the proper pitches for equal temperament. Fourths and major thirds aren't exact ratios in an equally tempered scale.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@smiller4597)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I just realized something, I am the only one home right now! today is the first day of school since I got my guitar. I think most of my tuning problems are solved except for the setup issues. The mics on the tuners are not working while they are plugged in.

ReplyQuote
(@smiller4597)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

If my low E and A strings are the only ones out of wack can they be adjusted without disturbing the other strings? Or will it throw everything else off?

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

If my low E and A strings are the only ones out of wack can they be adjusted without disturbing the other strings? Or will it throw everything else off?
If you are talking about intonation adjustments you can do any string without effecting the others.

If you have single string height adjustments then you can adjust any string without effecting the others. That should be the case for yours.

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

On most electrics you can fix the intonation (if that's the problem) on each string individually. It sounds like you would feel much better if you had it professionally setup though. I have an Ibanez artcore that somehow isn't 100% with the way I tried to set it up and will have it setup professionally when I get a chance (and some change).

Oktay

ReplyQuote