Clear all

Tuners

19 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@bustin40)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

My daughter decided on the Ibanez GRX40 in blue. I heard chromatic tuners are probably the way to go. Pros / cons of pedal type vs regular plug-ins?

I'm looking at getting her a Line 6 or Roland Cube for the amp.

BTW, I'll keep you updated on her progress. She has been pretty good at learning things she puts her mind to. Now she wants me to learn with her :? ............ Maybe I'll get a bass.

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Chromatic tuners cost like $5 more. They allow for alternate tunings. Drop D, open tunings or 1/2 step down. Standard tuners limit you to EADGBE.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

a good korg chromatic tune is the way to go, as her playing develops she will experiment with
alternate tunings 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@bustin40)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Chromatic tuners cost like $5 more. They allow for alternate tunings. Drop D, open tunings or 1/2 step down. Standard tuners limit you to EADGBE.
Like I understand that. I'll get the chromatic.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Prouddad: A 'guitar tuner' will tell if if the note you're playing is an E, A, D, G or B, and whether or not it's sharp or flat, but it doesn't do any other notes. A chromatic tuner is not limited to those five notes, it'll do all twelve.

A 'guitar tuner' is fine if all you ever use is standard tuning, which is EADGBE. If you want to tune a half-step down (for example to play along with a Gn'R CD), the strings are tuned to D#G#C#F#A#D# - none of which a 'guitar tuner' can handle, but a chromatic tuner can.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Like I understand that. I'll get the chromatic.

Ooops ... SORRY! Techno garble .. yeah, should have explained it .. my bad. :oops:

Drop D .... Nirvana, Sound Garden
1/2 step down ... KISS, Guns and Roses
Open tunings ... George Thourogood, ZZ Top

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Oh yeah .. thanks Misanthrope for bailing me out.

ReplyQuote
(@bustin40)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Suggestions on brand & models?

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member

I bought a Korg Chromatic Tuner CA-30 yesterday, it was pretty cheap (around $30 canadian) and I really like it.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

korgs are great , like steve said 25 to 30 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Another vote for Korg - I use a GA-30, got it as a freebie with a new guitar, been using it for three years now...it's been to Spain and America, been stood on, had drink spilled on it, even fell down a toilet once...best £0.00 I ever spent!

You can tune an acoustic accurately with the built-in mic, and you can plug in an electric or bass...and best of all, it'll fit easily into a pocket.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@hanzo)
Trusted Member

I've only used a Fender ST-1 but it seems to work just fine for me. It's pretty no frills but easy to use.

ReplyQuote
(@nexion)
Honorable Member

Korg seems to be the standard of price and quality.

"That’s what takes place when a song is written: You see something that isn’t there. Then you use your instrument to find it."
- John Frusciante

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

I've only used a Fender ST-1 but it seems to work just fine for me. It's pretty no frills but easy to use.

That one looks nice. I have the PT-100 pedal tuner. Having a hands-off chromatic tuner is tons less aggrevating than the conventional ones. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I have a Korg I like pretty well.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2