Clear all

tuning 1/2 step up, 2 ?'s

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@uno-pulgar)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'm working on "Boom Boom" and instead of tuning up a 1/2 step and back again all the time I've been puting a capo on the first fret and adjusting accordingly. It seems to work but I wonder if I'm missing something. I can't help thinking that they tell me to retune for a reason.

secondly when I compare the standanrd notation to the tab it appears that if I did retune I would still play (reading the SN) as if I hadn't changed the tuning. Is that right? or more importantly does that make sense?

Avatar- Correy Harris 8/12/2006 Heritage Music Blues fest, Wheeling WVa

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Yes it makes sense. I think you're missing nothing by using a capo instead of retuning, except lots of peg turning and an increased incidence of broken strings. It will also train you to think without relying on fret markers as fixed landmarks on the 5th, 7th frets etc.

ReplyQuote
(@ginger)
Reputable Member

I would never tune up from standard. Too much strain on your guitar neck I believe. I always use a Capo. The Capo becomes the nut so to speak.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Tuning up may cause your guitar strings to break in short time.I learned it the hard way on my classical guitar.

Therefore, don't try this at home !

ReplyQuote