Clear all

Tuning CGCFAD

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@shinnoki)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Greetz. I bet this was asked milions times, but search didn't point me to the right direction, so i wanna ask how to tune guitar by ear to C,G,C,F,A,D (low to high) ?
I found some methods on google, but it was just a big talk, what i was looking for was like a sample of each of them so i can tune by ear.
I will buy electric tuner later, but currently i am broke.
I also tried Guitar PRO's built-in tuner with my guitar plugged into PC, but it was buggy, sometimes it showed i am too high, sometimes i am too low.

Any sort of advice, without telling me to buy a tuner, or pitch pipe, will help.

Thanx

(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Go to http://www.wholenote.com and tune to EADGBE with a capo at the second fret (or use your fingers if you don't have a capo)
(Bottom left hand corner - click the tuning fork icon)

That will make your open strings D G C F A D.

Then you just need to drop your 6th string to C by comparing it at the seventh fret with the fifth string open - Make them equal pitch and your 6th will sound an open C

ReplyQuote
(@shinnoki)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I think i got it right, however i don't understand what u meant by the capo thing (or use fingers)

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

A capo is a device, which attaches to the guitar neck, at whatever fret you wish. It "creates" a nut, higher up the fretboard, so you can play open chords in whatever key you wish. If you put a capo at the second fret, then when you take it off, the open strings will be two half-steps below standard tuning. If you don't have one, then just fret each string at the second fret (except the 6th - fret it at the 4th fret) and tune to standard tuning EADGBE. Then, the open strings will be where you want them!

All of this sounds somewhat (or totally) confusing to someone who isn't familar with it. You need to look at your guitar while you read this. Unfortunately, this is one of those lessons that is best "shown" rather then read.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

find a program on the net that will play a note that you choose, then tune your guitar to it.

ReplyQuote
(@shinnoki)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

find a program on the net that will play a note that you choose, then tune your guitar to it.

i already did, i found a program called AP Tuner, i tried to tune it with it, but the result was a broken string... It was always fooling with me.

First I was doing D5, strummed, fine, it detected D5, then i went to A4, tuned it, but when i came back and strummed D5 it showed D3....

ReplyQuote