Notifications
Clear all

Tuning down a 1/2 step

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@slidething)
Topic starter  

Hey All ~ Just a Question on tuning - am learning an older song from the Smitheerns "Behind The Wall of Sleep". On the power tab it says tune both guitars down a 1/2 step - now I think I know what they mean but want to be sure I`ve got the right idea ~ So how do you tune a guitar down a 1/2 step?

300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

1/2 step is 1 fret. E becomes D#, A becomes G#, D becomes C#, G becomes F#, B becomes Bflat, E ==> D# What I learned for down wasmtoward the nut and up is toward the bridge. This is also called drop tuning I believe. HTH

John M

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

It isn't necessary unless you are playing along with the recording, or you need to sing it a half step down.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I like to play along with the recordings, so:

Tune your first string down so that it sounds the same as the second string fretted at the 4th fret.

Then retune the 2nd to 6th strings (down) just like you were using standard tuning, and there you have it.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Hendrix, SRC, Nirvana, Me( :wink: ), and other musians have tuned a half step down either because its easier to sing along and bend. 8)

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Oops, not SRC *SRV, and Kurt Cobain of Nirvana.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Eb's a tunning. You'll hear lots of song that it was used in. You can tune by ear if your listening to the song turn the low string down a little till its in tune with the song and then tune the rest of the strings to the low E. If you have a tuner its pretty easy. The others have covered using that.

Joe

ReplyQuote