Notifications
Clear all

Tuning/Noise problem with 1st and 5th string

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jayajay75)
Topic starter  

My acoustic guitar was working just fantastic. But now, though I can tune each string to the appropriate note, whenever I play the open first string, it causes the 5th string to vibrate as well. It only vibrates like that when I play the 1st string open, not at the frets. I first thought it was a buzz coming from the body, but a simple finger lightly placed on the 5th string completely stops the noise (and I can feel that the string was in fact vibrating). Anyone have any ideas about this problem?

Its a cheap Fender DG-8S acoustic.

Thx.

playing for 2 months.

(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

Is it time to change the strings?

BJ

ReplyQuote
(@jayajay75)
Topic starter  

I suppose that it might be. I bought it used and have been playing it since then on those same strings. Have you ever heard of this problem?

ReplyQuote
(@clideguitar)
Reputable Member

No - not this specific problem. After playing for a couple of years I can tell when the strings need to be changed. There may be another problem but changing the strings is the first thing you can do to try to stop the buzzing. If it still buzzes after that take it to a friend who knows guitars and see what they think.

If you change the strings give them a couple of days to settle.

Bob Jessie

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

Interesting. You mentioned that it was tuned, have yu tried alternate tunings? Maybe if you tuned the 1 string down a step you'd know if it is the guitar or something else. If it still happens then its something on the guitar if it dosen't then it might be some sort of sound frequency thing.

ReplyQuote
(@iliketheguitar)
Estimable Member

well when every object has a frequency that when exposed to will cause it to vibrate
this seems to be whats happening to your 5th string and id say that simply replacing that string will fix the problem

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

when I play a string, fretted or not, my other strings respond with vibration. I want that.
sometimes when I strike a note or chord hard a string will fret out and create a buzz.
if I don't want that , then it is a noise.
otherwise it is sound. and resonant sound to boot.
it is a natural thing with guitars.

sometimes one of my fingers happens to touch an adjacent string when I fret.
then there is an unpleasant sound. sometimes it is ok.
and again, too often becomes noise.

I find when I am learningsomething I tend to over focus or become too conscious of the idosyncracy
of the thing I am learning. but once I have gained some ability those things become insignificant.
and sound wise...sometimes does not matter at all.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote