Notifications
Clear all

Tuning problem

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@puppysuprise)
Topic starter  

Alright I've been having this tuning problem for a while now and have yet to find any solution. Basically the problem is that If i mess with the higher strings tuning knobs, it effects the tuning of the lower strings. This is especially annoying when putting on a new set of strings because i'm forced to go through tuning 3 or 4 times before i can get everything right. Neck appears to be straight and everything(not sure if that would have any effect on this). Please any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Alright I've been having this tuning problem for a while now and have yet to find any solution. Basically the problem is that If i mess with the higher strings tuning knobs, it effects the tuning of the lower strings. This is especially annoying when putting on a new set of strings because i'm forced to go through tuning 3 or 4 times before i can get everything right. Neck appears to be straight and everything(not sure if that would have any effect on this). Please any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

New strings are going to stretch. It's not unusual to take three or four re-tunes before they settle.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@puppysuprise)
Topic starter  

yes but is it normal for them to go way out of tune when i havent played them at all over a peroid of a few minutes while i tune the strings below it?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep. Happens on every guitar with any strings. It's especially bad with guitars like Strats with floating "trem" bridges and resonator guitars with springy cones under the bridge. As the tension on any string changes, the guitar's parts flex and change the tension on the others. You'll notice it instantly if a string breaks, too. The more rigid the guitar is structurally, the less you'll notice it. Not much on a solid lap steel. Quite noticeable even on hardtail electrics with skinny, flexible necks and heavy strings. Changing one string at a time and bringing it up to tune will minimize this. If you change tunings as I do sometimes, count on three passes over all the strings to get it right.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@puppysuprise)
Topic starter  

alright thanks a lot, good to know theres nothing wrong!

ReplyQuote