Forum

Notifications
Clear all

Tuning question

(@simonsays)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hmmmm.....

Like many relative newcomers to guitar I thought I had this issue reasonably sorted but now I'm not so sure

Whenever I pick up my guitar I slowly pick each individual string and then play a few open chords. All the while listening carefully to see if I can tell which are out of tune. Only when I've tried to correct this by ear do I check my work with a digital tuner. My judgement is getting slowly better but I still feel more confident with the tuner in my gig bag. That, until this morning was pretty much the extent of my involvement with the issue of tuning.

I was happy!

This morning I forgot to turn the tuner off when I was warming up and I noticed that many of the notes I was playing were sharp. Okay, I did a little reading and now I realise that the very act of fretting a note tightens the string and puts it under more tension. Making it sharp. In some cases up to 20 percentiles sharp The effect seems to be more pronounced on the bass strings the nearer I get to the nut. I do try and play with as light a touch as possible in the left hand but suspect that I still probably 'over fret' my chords.
I'm not sure I can see myself developing the skills to vary the pressure in my fretting fingers to allow for the different string thicknesses/tensions. Always seems to be something new to learn

So, is this a tuning issue or is it a technique issue? Or should i just quit worrying and get on with learning Ziggy Stardust

Simon

There are too many songs that have an 'F' chord in them.

(@davidhodge)
Member Moderator

So, is this a tuning issue or is it a technique issue? Or should i just quit worrying and get on with learning Ziggy Stardust

Simon

Would you believe "all three?" The only other factor you've left out is the set-up of the guitar and whether or not that's contributing to the scenario.

Big time discussion about this here:

https://www.guitarnoise.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=41257

Probably should find some more answers and tips among all that.

Peace

ReplyQuote