Clear all

two differnt types of tuners

10 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@allan)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I looked at two different types of tuners this past week,I actually played with one in the store but couldnt play with the other.

The one was a korg led tuner that just didnt seem to cut it ,it seemed to send the needle all over the board,I set it at 440 but it just didnt tune well.

The other I have never seen before ,it looked as if it clipped on the end of the guitar and tuned by vibration.
Does anyone have any dealings with this type ?

Just curious

Thanks

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

clip on is an Itellitouch tuner (pretty sure of the name). I have seen players use that. it picks up vibration.
the other tuner I like. if you find the needle going all over the place...make sure your volume is tuned up. and if you are tuning an acoustic,hit eh 12 fret harmonic. that needle will freeze, as it seems to 'hear' that better.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@longt)

I'm new but I was told on the LED type, Korg, tuner to have the tone control on the guitar turned way down will help. It looks to me that the LED/needle is more stable.

I could be wrong though.

Bill

ReplyQuote
(@causnorign)
Honorable Member

I use both types. A korg GA-20 works very well for me. The clip on I have is an intellitouch and I don't find it as easy to use as the korg, some notes just don't seem to shake it enough. I understand there is a new clip on made by a differant company that some folks feel is better than the intellitouch, sorry I don't remember the name :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I've got the Korg CA-20 and it works fine for my electric and my acoustic. I do find that old strings give a "jumpy" needle and are harder to tune just right.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
 mmdm
(@mmdm)
Estimable Member

I have both. I like my Korg GA30 because I can plug my electric right into it, which is good in noisy environments. The led needle seems pretty stable to me. I also like that I can use it to play the notes and match my strings up to it that way, learning to tune by ear. Also has a Bass tuning feature which is handy.

The intellitouch clip-on is also nice in noisy environments, and is very compact. It works fine on my acoustic, but on my electric, it has trouble picking up the low E for some reason. Can't use it on my mandolin, so it isn't as handy and I'm not sure it is as reliable. I use it on the go but wouldn't want it to be my only tuner.

I also have a nice Fender tuner with a regular needle instead of led. It is very reliable and works with all my instruments, but I can't plug directly into it like I can with the Korg.

ReplyQuote
(@ak_guitar)
Trusted Member

Probably stating the obvious, but here goes. I find that the jumpy needle is more often than not due to other noise in the room besides my guitar. If I turn the TV down, the jumpy needle goes away.

Praise the LORD with the harp; make music to him on the ten-stringed lyre. Sing to him a new song; play skillfully, and shout for joy. For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does. Psalm 33:2-4

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I've got the Korg CA-20 and it works fine for my electric and my acoustic. I do find that old strings give a "jumpy" needle and are harder to tune just right.

That's what I use, too and I've never had a problem with it on my acoustics or my electrics.
I find that the jumpy needle is more often than not due to other noise in the room besides my guitar. If I turn the TV down, the jumpy needle goes away.

That's pretty much the only time it gets "jumpy" with me, too.

If you were playing with it in a music store with a bunch of noise in the background it would definitely affect the tuner! Try one in a quiet room and I'll bet it doesn't jump!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

That's what I use, too and I've never had a problem with it on my acoustics or my electrics.

Oh, it's not a problem with the tuner - it works just fine. I was meaning that it was a sign that the strings are too old and in need of changing. Old strings have the tuner "needle" jumping some.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

My experience with chromatic tuners is if you don't have enough guitar volume you won't get accurate readings.

Didn't think old strings made that much difference as I'm the second cheapest guy I know and I have a habit of never changing strings. The guitars still tune up fine unless my volume control is down too low.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote