Clear all

Two Guitarists Playing Together

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

A friend's son and I usually get called on around the fire at an annual get together to play a few tunes. Of course we oblige, but always individually. I was thinking this weekend we should do a tune or so together. He is a good player and can strum and fingerpick proficiently, but rarely sings. I am only a couple of years into it, can fingerpick and strum reasonably well, and don't hesitate to sing. Neither of us have any experience playing with others. I know the key is to relax and have fun, but...

I figured we could have a go at "Knockin on Heaven's Door" G D Am7 G D C for starters, though I will be hearing Dylan and he will be hearing Axl Rose.

SO, here are some questions.

1) Who keeps time, the player or the player/singer? The better guitar player?

2) Should we play the same chords, or have one of us capo up a fret or two? I do remember playing with someone where they played different chords than me and it totally fouled me up, I was listening to them and could not play my progression. Don't know if this would happen with capoing too.

3) If he wants to take a solo do I just keep plugging away at the chord progression?

4) Any other suggestions for easy tunes that a 49 and 16 year old could collaborate on ?

Thanks a bunch!

(@steve-0)
Noble Member

A friend's son and I usually get called on around the fire at an annual get together to play a few tunes. Of course we oblige, but always individually. I was thinking this weekend we should do a tune or so together. He is a good player and can strum and fingerpick proficiently, but rarely sings. I am only a couple of years into it, can fingerpick and strum reasonably well, and don't hesitate to sing. Neither of us have any experience playing with others. I know the key is to relax and have fun, but...

I figured we could have a go at "Knockin on Heaven's Door" G D Am7 G D C for starters, though I will be hearing Dylan and he will be hearing Axl Rose.

SO, here are some questions.

1) Who keeps time, the player or the player/singer? The better guitar player?

2) Should we play the same chords, or have one of us capo up a fret or two? I do remember playing with someone where they played different chords than me and it totally fouled me up, I was listening to them and could not play my progression. Don't know if this would happen with capoing too.

3) If he wants to take a solo do I just keep plugging away at the chord progression?

4) Any other suggestions for easy tunes that a 49 and 16 year old could collaborate on ?

Thanks a bunch!

I'm no pro, but I've been playing for a while so maybe I can help you out:

1) You both should keep time actually, but if I were playing I would start counting out loud at an appropriate pace (" 1.. 2.. 1, 2, 3, 4..." something like that) and start playing. You can tap your foot or something if you feel more comfortable doing that.

2) If you're both playing rhythm playing the exact same thing might get boring after a while so sometimes a lead player might play the same chords in DIFFERENT POSITIONS, it should still sound right if they are playing the right chords, it should just sound slightly different. If it sounded bad chances are he wasn't playing the chords right or maybe he was using chords you weren't used to.

3) During a solo most rhythm players just keep playing the usaul progression, but if you want to make it exciting you can change the rhythm a little bit and add some fills: it doesn't have to be the same progression note for note.

4) Ask him what music he likes, maybe the two of you both really like certain bands and artists. I always find I play songs that I've heard alot better than ones I've never or rarely listened to.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

one plays rhythm the other takes the licks.
both keep time. use a drum machine if you have one.
switch between rhythm and leads as needed.
sing. and sing so more.
let the song take you to others.
and donot be afraid do do a version instead of a copy.
let things happen. adjust on the fly.
the more you two play togwether the better it gets.

o0h, and don't stop in the middle becaue you think you goofed.
keep playing.
it is annoying to stop.
relax and have fun.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Dogbite:

A drum machine? At a campfire? This is Canada, we're just getting indoor plumbing up here !!! Will two beer bottles clanked together do the trick !?!?!?

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Dogbite:

A drum machine? At a campfire? This is Canada, we're just getting indoor plumbing up here !!! Will two beer bottles clanked together do the trick !?!?!?

Bah, then you probably dont even have clocks yet so who cares about time. Just play!! :lol:

Sounds like fun. No advice other than whats been said.

Jim

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Here's an article by none other than David Hodge on this very subject.

By the way, it's from Play Guitar magazine, which I highly recommend for beginners like myself.
The fact that a couple of GN's best teachers write for it (David and Tom Serb(AKA Noteboat)) doesn't hurt either.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@kcfenderfan)
Honorable Member

+1 for the "Play Guitar" magazine. It has articles for all levels of playing.

Jim-Bone

ReplyQuote