Clear all

Typical newbie overexcitement - sidelined for a few days

18 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I spent most of Tuesday afternoon and evening practicing, about 6 hours with some breaks. I've never spent that much time but I got a lot done. I learned a few things that have been bugging me to learn.

Well, yesterday I got a pain at the base of my right thumb. I can't open my hand all the way and feel the pain going up into my wrist. Since I had an appointment at my chiro last night I asked him to take a look at it. He bent it this way and that way, I had pain this way but not that way. Then he worked on my forearm. He pressed on the muscle in my forearm and I yelled. He said it's from overuse. When I told him the only thing I could think of was my practice, he said yes that was it. I ttook a couple of days to manifest. So I have to lay off playing for a couple of days, and then when I do play, just go easy.

So this is what happens when you get too exhuberant and overdo it. :roll: No wonder band members take frequent breaks when playing a gig. Not to mention that I've never seen a concert or performance go 5 or 6 hours.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@ballybiker)
Honorable Member

RSI's (repetative strain injuries) or 'tennis elbow' are common....I get it a lot myself....your doing the right thing by resting a while,your body tells you through pain to go easy on it.

it wont stop you playing overall,so just accept it and use non playing time to study some theory/listen to music/post on here 8)

what did the drummer get on his I.Q. test?....

Drool

http://www.myspace.com/ballybiker

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

RSI's (repetative strain injuries) ...use non playing time to study some theory/listen to music/post on here 8)

That's a really good idea. Especially considering the weather today is not great. I have Guitar For Dummies and Rock Guitar For Dummies I should delve into.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Ow!

Yep, you've got to rest. Also, it's an opportunity to review your technique. Many folks, especially new players, press harder than necessary on the strings. Many don't use good positioning either. The closer you are to holding your guitar in the position the classical players use, the better off you'll be.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Ow!

Yep, you've got to rest. Also, it's an opportunity to review your technique. Many folks, especially new players, press harder than necessary on the strings. Many don't use good positioning either. The closer you are to holding your guitar in the position the classical players use, the better off you'll be.

Good advice, of course. But from the description, if you are a righty, Minotaur, this might be due to pick clenching or locking the thumb into an unnatural position to maintain a pick grip. I used to get the exactly the same base-of-thumb pain from contorting my thumb for efficient Blackberrying. didn't really go away until I altered the way I use my BB. Maybe you need to reconsider your pick grip.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

Agreed. I think technique is the number one way you hurt yourself. I used to hurt my wrist and first knuckles (weird I know) until I got more comfortable and began using better posture and pressing softer on the strings. Now the only time I ever get any pain is if I'm playing for extended periods of time and doing a lot of bending, sometimes my fingertips get a bit sore even through my callouses :)

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Ow!

Good advice, of course. But from the description, if you are a righty, Minotaur, this might be due to pick clenching or locking the thumb into an unnatural position to maintain a pick grip. I used to get the exactly the same base-of-thumb pain from contorting my thumb for efficient Blackberrying. didn't really go away until I altered the way I use my BB. Maybe you need to reconsider your pick grip.

Oh, I'm sorry... I neglected to mention it's my right, my strumming hand. I am holding the pick wrong. I just looked up again how to hold it properly. When I hold it "my" way, I can feel the discomfort. When I hold it properly, I don't feel any discomfort..

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

I wouldn't worry the fine details of pick holding. you simply are damaged a bit from over doing it.
the same thing would have happened if you were using a hammer all day.
just take a break. do the forearm stretches. massage the muscle.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A hammer can be rougher on the thumb than a pick.

ReplyQuote
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

Definitely with the thumb opposite of the hand you swing the hammer with. I found out good today. Thumbnail is black with a giant blood blister on the side of the thumb. OUCH!

It freaks the kids out too. I keep threatening to touch their cheek with my thumb, muhahahaha!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I had to lay off barre chords for a while about a month ago. I think I was doing the squeezing too hard thing though. I'm pretty sure it all started while learning Sultans Of Swing. Now I'm too afraid to play it much. :oops:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@boxboy)
Noble Member

Sounds like something the Mighty Thor would say.
Always threatening us with that hammer of his. :roll:

:) :) :)

Don

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Threatening? I'm just explaining how they work.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Case and point, 11 days working on the "Man Cave" and have yet to hit my thumb with the hammer. :mrgreen:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Case and point, 11 days working on the "Man Cave" and have yet to hit my thumb with the hammer. :mrgreen:

Like to tempt the fates much? :lol:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2