Notifications
Clear all

Unintentional noise when moving left hand

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@easytiger)
Topic starter  

Beginner question here - hoping to be pointed in the right direction.

When I move my left hand between chord shapes my fingers sometimes cause the strings to sound when I lift my fingers off the strings. My fingers seem to stick to the strings somewhat and when the fingers are lifted it creates notes that aren't supposed to be there. If I'm trying to do a quick chord change it can make quite a twang and sounds terrible.

I realise the answer to this will basically be lots of practice but any tips anybody could offer would be superb.
Jon

Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

Clean your fretboard and your strings with some "made for guitar" lemon oil.

That will help make things more slippery and maybe clean your strings, as well.

The type of string you use may be causing that, too. Acoustics seem more likely to produce that symptom than electrics, IMHO.

Knowing that condition occurs will also make you more aware of it and in time it will probably fade away. The neat part is, you may not even notice the gradual decline.

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Some noise while changing chords etc is normal. Its fretnoise and sometimes I like the sound of it.

Listen to 'Every Breath You Take' by The Police and you can hear such noise.

As far as fingers sticking to the strings, you should wash your hands properly and dry them before playing the guitar.

Good Luck.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

As far as fingers sticking to the strings, you should wash your hands properly and dry them before playing the guitar.

Bang goes the doner kebab with chips and a bottle of Spitfire before going on stage then. Sigh...

A certain amount of string noise is inevitable, it goes with the territory. Make sure you're lifting your fingers off and moving your hand along the neck rather than just sliding your fingers along the strings each time.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@easytiger)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies. I've bought myself a bottle of lemon oil from ebay so looking forward to seeing how that goes.
Cheers
Jon

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

Listen to "Dirty Women" Black Sabbath (lp "Technical Estacy). The scrapes between chords are great, add to the song, the same every time. When I learned the song, I had to figure the scrapes out. Too Cool. DON'T FIGHT IT, WORK IT! 8)

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Listen to "Dirty Women" Black Sabbath (lp "Technical Estacy). The scrapes between chords are great, add to the song, the same every time. When I learned the song, I had to figure the scrapes out. Too Cool. DON'T FIGHT IT, WORK IT! 8)

THAT is the question! Are you talking about scrapes or are you talking about your fingers hitting the strings during chord changes (unintentionally). They are two different things of course.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I keep getting strange noises when I move my hands. It didn't take long to figure out that it was the handcuffs................................

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote