Clear all

Upgrading to Medium Strings

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@sergioremon)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hey y'all, I'm upgrading from light strings to medium strings. I've waited this long because I'm terrified that my guitar will get a busted with the heavier strings. Just the other day I was at Matt Umanov and he was telling some poor lady his story about how basecally guitars want to fold up on themselves. At any rate, does anyone have anything to say about this. I have an all mahogany martin d-15.

(@surfbluewavesbc)
Trusted Member

I am also just brought a pack of medium strings I think I had light also ( this will be my first time changing the strings since last January the strings that are on the guitar now are turning different colors). I didn't know that is can bust up your guitar. I have been playing since last January ,but the guy at the music store said I should get medium strings for my classical guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@sergioremon)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

It's not a big deal on classical guitars because even the hardest tensioned classical strings don't have that much tension. My classical guitar as extra hard tension trings which are still much softer that light guage steel strings. But I'm switching to medium guage steel strings which put alot more pressuse on guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@tumbleweed47)

I've never heard of a guitar folding up on itself because of strings, I use medium Martin acoustic SP .03-.056 on all my acoustic guitars, I can tell you this, once you get used to the medium strings you'll never go back, I also use a heavy pick and the sound is so much better, it takes a little gittin used too but well worth the switch in my opinion

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I can't imagine that a set of 13s (Martin's medium gauge) would cause trouble on that guitar. I have John Pearse "new medium" 13s on my Seagull Folk, a fairly light-weight and delicate guitar, and have had no trouble. Had Elixir 13s before that.

If it were a vintage guitar showing signs of stress in the top, or problems with the bridge, I probably wouldn't do it. But most modern guitars should take 13s.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@pkrider)
Trusted Member

While its true that the tension of the strings have an effect, this is what truss rod adjustments are for. Your Martin D-15 will sound alot better with the 13-56 mediums and WILL NOT suffer one bit. I've recently discovered the new "Martin Bluegrass" product # SP4250. I get a longer life and better sound out of these than standard Martin strings (Martin strings can go dead very fast), and these strings put the Elixirs to shame IMHO. Shope em around and you can find them online for just over $5 a set. Although they're referred to as bluegrass strings, I play bluegrass, rock, folk and everything sounds better with these strings. I get at least 3 weeks of great sound from the Martin SP4250's.

PK

ReplyQuote