Clear all

Use the Force, Luke!

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

"Stretch out with your feelings, your eyes can deceive you".

I was getting a little frustrated tonight with my practice of Imagine. I was sitting down; just couldn't get the darn fingers to work. I thought I was concentrating too hard. I had my strap on the guitar, because sitting down it tends to slide. I need another chair, or a low barstool... anyway...

I stood up for a moment and thought "Hmm... maybe I could try this..." Not only did it feel pretty good standing up... I felt like a musician :lol: I decided to not watch what my fingers were doing. I felt the strings. And guess what... fingers and strings worked together. :D I think maybe I should start feeling the strings more and not watching them. It's like taking the training wheels off a bike.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

(@mmoncur)
Estimable Member

I try to do about half of my practice without looking at the guitar. (If I'm lazy, that means I keep my eyes on the TV). I think it helps - if nothing else you find some of your trouble spots. If you're looking at the guitar to decide where to put your fingers, you're going to be slow at chord changes.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

If you're looking at the guitar to decide where to put your fingers, you're going to be slow at chord changes.

I think that's right. Fmaj and Bm are problems for me if I watch and overthink it. There are times I don't look, just visualize where my fingers go, and it is often better than when I concentrate.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Congratulations on your breakthrough! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Congratulations on your breakthrough! :D

Thanks! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I've been standing to play my guitar since spring of 1978. I can play sitting down but really don't like to. For a beginner, one tends to want to peek at the strings turning the fretboard so it faces up at you. This is poor technique and makes the job your fingers have all the harder. When you throw a strap on and stand up ....... problem solved. Of course at 17 years old I was doing it to look cool. :wink:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yes, congrats on your improvement. As for standing up, once you get used to it, it's difficult to go back. I always feel a little cramped when sitting myself. And you are doing well to look away from the guitar too. There are times when you have to look, like when you move up the fingerboard a few frets for a chord change for instance. Take a quick peek so you land in the right spot, but then remind yourself to look away. When you perform for others you want to make eye contact with the crowd.

Again, congrats, you're getting there. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

For a beginner, one tends to want to peek at the strings turning the fretboard so it faces up at you. This is poor technique and makes the job your fingers have all the harder.

That's exactly what happens to me.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yes, congrats on your improvement. As for standing up, once you get used to it, it's difficult to go back. I always feel a little cramped when sitting myself. And you are doing well to look away from the guitar too. There are times when you have to look, like when you move up the fingerboard a few frets for a chord change for instance. Take a quick peek so you land in the right spot, but then remind yourself to look away. When you perform for others you want to make eye contact with the crowd.

Again, congrats, you're getting there. :D

Thanks Wes. I've noticed that Eric Clapton does that... looks at the fretboard sometimes. I've seen it in photos, so I'm going to look for them to see what he's playing when he looks.

I did it a couple of times, but I'm in no way proficient at it. Like anything else it takes practice. And this is another thing to chip away at and improve on. Another hard change was going to Dm. No idea why. But I tried a couple of times to not look and I made it. So I definitely have to spend more time looking away and going by feel. It seems better to visualize the chord in my mind than actually seeing it.

I'll probably spend more time standing up too. I haven't been happy with the seats I've been using... my home desk chair: I have to turn and sit on the edge so I don't hit the arms; a wooden backless barstool that's a little too high to put my foot on the floor, but the rung is too high to rest my foot on; a folding metal chair: need I go further with that one? :roll: The best chair I used was the one in my lessons at the studio. It was a low armless square chair like an office cubicle would have for a guest. Even then I'd have to elevate my foot slightly, as I'm short (5'5"). OK, now I'm rambling. :oops:

Thanks again, you guys are theeee best. :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I'll probably spend more time standing up too. I haven't been happy with the seats I've been using... my home desk chair: I have to turn and sit on the edge so I don't hit the arms; a wooden backless barstool that's a little too high to put my foot on the floor, but the rung is too high to rest my foot on; a folding metal chair: need I go further with that one? The best chair I used was the one in my lessons at the studio. It was a low armless square chair like an office cubicle would have for a guest. Even then I'd have to elevate my foot slightly, as I'm short (5'5"). OK, now I'm rambling.

That is not unusual that you feel you need to elevate one foot, that is the proper method. They sell little footstools just for this purpose.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

A new toy! Road trip!

Helm, set course for Jack's Music Shop... Warp factor 9. :lol:

ReplyQuote