Clear all

Using the PC as an AMP

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@elementalfire)
Topic starter  

New to guitars and the forum.

I was wondering how I can use my PC as an amp for practicing at home. Not really concerned with recording, though that would be a nice bonus...

Do I need a special cable or extra equipment of somesort to make this work or can I just put an adapter on the end of my guitar cable?

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Hey there and welcome to GN,

Yes you can. I have for a long long time now, however..... :)

I'd suggest you get something in between your GIT and PC.

Say.... a V-Amp or something similar.

Then from the "Phones" out to the "LINE IN" on your Sound Card you'll be on your way to making some awesome Noise.

Note the Cable from such a device should be of the "Stereo Flavor" not the MONO instrument type, something as simple as a "Headphone Extension chord" would work just fine.

My setup for over a year, (besides using my very loud amp[Fender HotRod Deluxe]), and before I bought some better speakers (Monitors) for Xmas was this.

GIT > BOSS GT8 > Phones Out > Line In (through PC) Out to some 5.1 surround PC Speakers.
Sounded pretty good then and still does now, but I now have some real "FRFR" Active Speakers which I'm enjoying a whole lot.

Cheers

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@elementalfire)
Topic starter  

Ok so the V-Amp thing runs like $150. Line6 makes a usb hook up for $100. My question then becomes, would it be better to get one of these devices or an actual amp for under $200?

I was kinda hoping not to have to buy an amp right away...

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

If you're in the USA, you should be able to get a V-amp2 for closer to $99:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Behringer-VAMP-2-Amp-Modeler?sku=480674

(And you can still use the V-amp with an amp if you buy one later.)

Here's the Y cable you'll need to get the V-amp's left and right channels into one cable ($8.99):

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Live-Wire-3.5M-TRSDual-14-Y-Cable?sku=330481

Here's the extension cable I use from the above Y cable into the back of the computer ($1.99):

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?Sku=C184-13787

Of course, you can put your guitar directly into the computer's line in using a 1/8 inch adapter on your guitar cord. Adding the V-amp just gives you all those cool tones and effects. 8)

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

This isn't the best way to hear a guitar, period.. but you could use a guitar USB cord (that changes if you don't have a USB-capable computer):

http://www.music123.com/SoundTech-LightSnake-USB-Intelligent-Instrument-Cable-i427337.music

There's no live playback, though. I think you can plug a pair of headphones into one end and get live playback, but I'm not sure.

It's almost better to just go out and buy one of those $60 dollar 2 and 3/4th watt (sarcasm) Marshall mini practice amps.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

Not exactly answering your question, but don't forget about pawn shops. I got a epiphone 10 watt practice amp for $40. You may have to try a few pawn shops till you find one that has good deals, but once you find one, you can get some good finds for cheap.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@elementalfire)
Topic starter  

So just make sure I'm clear on all this so far. I can do the following:

1. Put an adapter on the end of a standard cable and plug it into my line in. This will allow me to hear what I'm playing and record a wav but not much else.

2. Spend around $100-$150 on a V-amp type setup and gain some actual amp functionality and be able to use the same setup with an actual amp later.

I just want to make sure I am clear and can just put an adapter on the end of the cable and hear it through my pc. This is the cheapest solution and will do while I learn basics. When I have the cash I go for a more elaborate setup.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yes, you can put an 1/8" adapter on the cable, run it into your pc and have sound. You'll probably want to create the sound-shaping options of a guitar to have it sound like a real electric guitar. You can get a real amp, a hardware modeler such as the V-amp or GuitarPort or a software modeler. If you're stretched for cash you can try some of the free software modelers.

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I use the Line 6 Guitar Port. I think a new one costs about $100, as low as $40 on EBAY.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote