Skip to content
Versatile Guitars f...

Notifications
Clear all

Versatile Guitars for Various Styles of Music?

17 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@canucks12)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

......I have been playing an acoustic for 3 years now and want to buy an electric......I enjoy all styles of music......My question is: Is there a guitar design/style that is well suited to various styles of music?.....Furthermore: What style of guitars match what music styles?.......If you know what I'm getting at; please respond!

Thanks,

Scott

(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

The Fender Strat will work for any style of music I can think of.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Fender Stratocaster -- I agree.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I would agree that a Strat is probably overall the most versatile but if your into heavy down tuned music it may not be the best choice, but if you play a wide variety then I think it's probably your best bet.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

I dunno, I tune my gutiar down a whole step every once in a while and it works fine.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Sherm,

I do to although I don't play alot of heavy stuff and yes a Strat will work but I don't think it's the guitar of choice for that style.

Maybe a fat Strat with a humbucker would get you closer to that sound.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

You know what's an unsung hero of the guitar world? The Jazzmaster. Most people think it's just for surf music, but I've heard Hendrix done quite convincingly on it.

Anyhow, probabaly more versatile, would be that Ibanez A/E guitar. The solidbody with the piezo bridge?

That one.

Wait, doesn't it have a piezo vibrato bridge? That would make it even better.

ReplyQuote
(@canucks12)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input......I'm assuming Fender Strat would be the concensus?......

ReplyQuote
(@audioslaveaddict)
Estimable Member

Thanks for the input......I'm assuming Fender Strat would be the concensus?......

Well I am going to vote for the following just to be different!

http://www.gretschguitars.com/gear/index.php?product=G6122SP

:twisted:

Gun control is using both hands!!!

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Yeah, the Strat is versatile, and it is hard to make "Strat sounds" with other guitar styles, but the Jazzmaster has probably been used as or more successfully in the broadest range of music... and that is with a lot fewer people playing them. Jazz to surf to rock to punk easy as pie. Sound great clean or distorted.

ReplyQuote
(@bleaseyhighflyer)
Trusted Member

Id agree with the JAZZMASTER actually, i mean its done surf, grunge, pop/rock by artisits like beach boys, Elvis Costello and im sure Kurt cobain had one. Of course his signiture was mustang, but im pretty sure he played a Jazzmaster oncce or twice.

" Ah man, that went down like a lead balloon."

ReplyQuote
(@canucks12)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

OK.....So what syle does the Les Paul fall into?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

People have pigeon-holed LPs in the heavier end of music - if it needs distortion, then get an LP. This has been somewhat reinforced by Gibson themselves, with the pups that they put on - they don't come splittable from the factory - so no single coil sounds.

Oddly the LP was originally designed as a Jazz guitar and I think the last time I heard an Lp played any where near clean was on Albatross by Fleetwood Mac

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

You can get some nice jazz/mellow blues sounds from the neck pickup of an LP with lower output pickups.

How about a hollowbody or a semi-hollowbody? I've certainly seen 335-family guitars played by jazz and blues guitarists and they were popular with punk rockers for a while because they were so easy to feedback. You might need to stuff the body a bit with socks to tame the feedback for rock.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

EC used to play a 335 as do Chuck Berry and a whole raft of blues players. The solid centre block should stop any tendency to feedback.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2