Clear all

Very basic noobie question - Bass finger playing

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rwsxav)
Topic starter  

Hello all!

I'm a bass - and musical - noobie who has finally decided to take the plunge and try something that I've always thought about. I picked up one of the bass guitar "kits" and David Hodge's book (of course!). I've begun teaching myself as best I can for now, with the hopes of getting out of the looking-like-a-fool stage to gauge my dedication before I consider longer-term lessons and such.

But with all the questions I asked, research, and reading - I immediately discovered one very basic question .... how should it sound when I use fingers to play? :oops:

By that I mean for example I can play them in such a way that my fingers sort of slide off and produce a soft tone (for lack of a better term), or I can use the tips which produce a more 'twangy' sound - sorta like with a pick.

Which is the correct method?

Thank you :)

Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

They're both correct. Different music will call for different ways of playing. For jazz, you might want that smoother sound. For funk/rock you might want that harder sound.

Welcome to Guitar Noise by the way. You should also check out the bass forum here.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

Yup, both (and even more) methods are "correct." It depends on the sound you want.

ReplyQuote
(@rwsxav)
Topic starter  

Great, thanks for the feedback :D

And yeah, I've been perusing the forums for about a week now. Only just now registered since I had a question to post. (Couldn't find anywhere that touched on exactly my question).

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

The bass player forum of this board would be a good place to visit - often:

http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewforum.php?f=6

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Personally I would like playing with a pick, since I loving punk music. Mike Dirnt of Green Day uses a pick and is a great bass player. (Longview !!)

You should select depending on the type of music you play and what you find best.

Good Luck with that bass and welcome to GN.

Rahul

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member

Yeah man, do what you want. Learn them all. It's like a guitar player who only plays downstrokes... then upstrokes... then alternates.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
 Oric
(@oric)
Estimable Member

Watch what various bassists do for their tone. James Jamerson of Motown, he played with only one finger, and really old flatwounds on a P-bass. If you want a fat ballady tone, try playing with the side of your thumb above the fingerboard. And of course, Victor Wooten uses everything except a pick, but he's known for his double thumb slap technique.

ReplyQuote