Clear all

Vibrato

10 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Having realised how incredibly important and effective a skill it is, I decided to learn how to do a good vibrato.

However whilst my technique isn't great, I don't understand how a vibrato works in the sense that if you're effectively bending a note then it has a chance of going out of tune, which appears to be happening almost every time i use it.

Does this mean I should bend further or is this just part of it?

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Vibrato means changing the pitch up and down, this means that it will be detuned most of the vibrato. But if you keep it consistent and don't change the pitch too much people still perceive the original note. It's kinda hard for me to really understand what problem you are having, could you upload a Mp3 or even better a webcam-clip of your fretting-hand?

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

It'll have to be audio and it'll have to be tomorrow, but ok.

The problem essentially is that even though I'm bending the string consitently to the same point, whatever I make that same point, unless it's an extremely wide bend, then for this particular note it sounds horrible and out of tune. And seeing as it's the first note of a solo it's kinda important.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hmm, are you sure your vibrato is fast enough and you are not over-doing it? Vibrato is a relatively minor change in pitch, you don't want to actually bend it up or close to another note.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Here's a pretty good VIDEO of the vibrato technique.

It sounds like you're not loose enough. One of the most important things regarding any technique is being relaxed. Let your fingers and joints do the work.

Keep at it, you'll get before long.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Haha, was just browsing YouTube for it as well. The problem with the video is that the guy isn't that good himself with vibrato, it sounds like he isn't really in control too much. And I don't trust people who can't be arsed to tune their guitar before they record some. It should come with a warning that watching his lesson leads to head-aches and nausea. :(

I did find another one but that one is kinda more difficult to follow.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fQ5S7zN-Egs&mode=related&search=

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Hey, I said it was pretty good. :lol: I thought he was in Eb.

I saw that one too, but I figured I would post a video of someone that wasn't showing off. :P

My guy could take your guy any day! Bring it on! :lol:

My guy can multi-track. Can yours? huh? huh? :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Hehe, true. People who need to shred for a minute before teaching a basic technique should be deported to Belgium on general principle. ;)

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Haha, was just browsing YouTube for it as well. The problem with the video is that the guy isn't that good himself with vibrato, it sounds like he isn't really in control too much. And I don't trust people who can't be arsed to tune their guitar before they record some. It should come with a warning that watching his lesson leads to head-aches and nausea. :(
I liked "I'm gonna do a trill. Most people don't recognise it as a trill, they call it vibrato but I call it a trill.". Classic :mrgreen:

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

vibrato is not a full bend. it is a subtle flating and sharping of a note.
somehow it sounds very natural to the ear.
my vibrato is like thinking the finger is like an eraser on the end of a pencil. instead of rubbing I wiggle more in one spot.
press into the string and waver the hand. the tip of the finger doesnt bend the string.
sometimes i do push the string across the grain, so to speak, but never bend it very much.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote