Clear all

"walk the line"

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

man sure thought that was a good movie and the soundtrack is really good.. great story of a american icon and roots of rock-n- roll.. plus lots of teles!!

Cash is cool

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

great stuff.
Luther Perkins was his guitarist. he laid down some cool notes.

I really like playing some of Cash's music. the chords are simple. the feeling is hard. one really has to put it oput there for his songs to work.

he used the F chord alot. in addition to that bass beat; hard to play but when nailed ....nothing like it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Yeah, great movie,. Gotta be honest, I like Joaquim Phoenix's voice more than the real johnny Cash :lol:

(Sorry for spelling on his name)

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

yes i guess less is more, just love that chunka-chunka beat.and phoenix did a great job on the vocals.

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

Does Phoenix play guitar in the film? And does he play it well? Or is it all close-ups of a pro player?

I remember a film where Sean Penn played a jazz guitarist - he had obviously studied the fingerwork closely and was reproducing something that looked quite realistic, but any guitarist could tell that the notes he was fingering did not correspond to the notes being played!

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Have not had a chance to see the movie yet, but just read an article on Phoenix talking about the movie.

Apparently he did not play the guitar, prior to this movie. He bought a guitar to learn how to hold it and some basic chords, but when he learned that he got the part he had to get lessons and learn pretty quickly.

He was also surprised that the director wanted him to sing, as he didn't think he could sing or even come close to Cash's voice. The director only wanted him to create Johnny Cash's essence and not necessarily copy his voice at all.

Before the film began production, he met Johnny Cash and June Carter in LA for a dinner, Cash gave him is blessing and Phoenix then felt honoured and then blessed to do his best.

I hear it's a great movie and I'll be seeing it soon.

ReplyQuote
(@terestron)
Eminent Member

I saw the movie and was impressed with his performance..it also gave me a deeper appreciation for Johnny Cash himself....The only thing that was disapointing was why does Hollywood always have to dwell on the artisits drug habits and vices? They did this with Ray Charles in "RAY". It is ashame because both of these guys had so much more to them then that little part of thier life....Johnny Cash put out "50 albums" during that time....so obviously there was more going on in his life than the drugs...

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

I saw the movie and was impressed with his performance..it also gave me a deeper appreciation for Johnny Cash himself....The only thing that was disapointing was why does Hollywood always have to dwell on the artisits drug habits and vices? They did this with Ray Charles in "RAY". It is ashame because both of these guys had so much more to them then that little part of thier life....Johnny Cash put out "50 albums" during that time....so obviously there was more going on in his life than the drugs...

His dark side and recovery are what made him as well as Ray Charles who and what they were.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

that is an excellent point terestron, i have not seen either movie, but it seems that
with every fallen rock/movie star, he/she was great, but "if it wasn"t for the drugs", or
"they were junkies" it seems that, no matter what great things you have done, or accomplished, its the things that people have done in there own private hell, so to speak,
thats talked and wrote about, show me one person that says they don"t have skeletons in there closet, and i"ll show you a liar.

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@tiffany-twisted)

I thought the movie was fantastic. I knew some of Johnny Cash's songs but really didn't know all that much about his life like the whole thing with his brother and father. I also had no idea that he and June Carter loved each other for years but were both married to other people and then spent 35 years together after they finally got married, and I didn't know that she had written "Ring of Fire". Of course, being a woman I would like the mushy romantic part. :wink:
Anyway, seeing the movie makes me want to hear more of his music.

I like Country music and I am not ashamed.

ReplyQuote
(@goodvichunting)
Reputable Member

How did you guys find "No Direction Home"?

Latest addition: Cover of "Don't Panic" by Coldplay
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=502670

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I recommend Johnny's autobiography, titled "Cash."

"Brother Ray" is another good book.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

I just bought the "No Direction Home". It's a great movie and really opened my eyes to Dylan in another way, I never seen before. I saw it on PBS last year and knew I had to buy the DVD.

I also didn't realize that Mike Bloomfield was the driving force in Highway 61 revisited.

It's worth it too watch or even had in your DVD collection.

ReplyQuote
(@tim-shull)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

yeah iam reading "cash" now . very good read. he and waylon will be missed big time.

Cash is cool

ReplyQuote