Skip to content
Wants VS needs!! We...

Notifications
Clear all

Wants VS needs!! We all have both of 'em!!

33 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Actually, the guitar matters very, very, very little. I am in the lucky position that I can put a fair number of guitars next to each other, from jazzboxes to superstrats, and the amp and effects chain matters infinitely more. As for playability, I find it hard to believe anyone but the most demanding wizard has no problem with basic $400 guitars, providing they've been properly set-up.

So why on earth did I get multiple guitars? Basically, it's the mental stuff that I like: with a new guitar you *feel* better, I got a massive urge to learn jazz when I got my jazzbox and I went crazy on the gain with my RG550. I could have switched it around, technically, but this works better for me, and most people. After a while you need new toys which will kick you into new directions.

So fishrmann, most of all I wish you lost of fun and inspiration!

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Arjen - I think you are right on... I'm, a big proponent of getting the MOST guitar you can for the money available, but I've come to realize that in today's world there is very little difference between guitars (other than fit, finish, and features) in terms of playability once you it the $400+ range. For most people those guitars will be just fine.

Of course, that's not to say that I think people should buy 4 $300 guitars instead of one $900 and one $300. I think you are better served getting better equipment (even if only for re-sale value). Nobody wants a wall full of junk.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@fishrmann)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I'll say I agree with almost all the advice so far as I sit here awaiting for the new ax to arrive tomorrow.....

Regardless of what I play, it will sound like ME playing. Very, very true for better or worse!

However, I already know (from all my trips looking at and playing a multitude of guitars and different amps) that pretty much ANYTHING I get at the moment is going to help make "ME" sound BETTER than the cheap POS guitar and little 15W practice AMP I'm used to.

Even before the new ax arrives, it is clear the two above statements are true, which in some form or another is what almost everyone here had to say.

Sometime tomorrow night or Friday there will be a new thread started with reviews of the new ax.... in the meantime, I've still got the little cheap 'ol Squier to hammer out some scales on - forget chords, it sounds like crap, regardless of ANY kind of strings used on it, tuning, AMP, etc..... it just sounds "wrong", and it IS the guitar...

You all rock, keep rock'n!!! PK

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3