Notifications
Clear all

Way to Remember Lines?

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@aristekrat)
Topic starter  

I'm starting out and chords aren't that bad, switching between them is hard but not impossible, but for whatever reason I feel like moron when it comes to remembering what I'm supposed to play beyond simple three chord stuff.

Do I just got to do it over and over again or is there a better way? It's honestly the hardest thing for me right now.

My site: http://www.masspire.com Masspire - Independent Artists Websites. It's a place built to give independent artists a fair and free chance when they're just starting out, and that includes musicians.

(@alangreen)

New players regularly struggle with this issue.

Kep plugging away at what you can play now, and then pick one of your favourite songs and have a go at that. As you go on, you build up a chord library in your head and can make a fair stab at more complex stuff.

Remembering lines, chords, solos, or whatever comes next is a matter of familiarity. The more you work with the material the easier it becomes to remember what comes next.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

OK.. Im at kinda the level that im just starting to grasp that stuff. So every one thinks diferent... and we all have our own ways, so pretty much you just need to know that you will get it. It will click one day. .. I tend to think of things as blocks. I remember blocks or strings of music.. and once thats down...you rememer how those blocks go together.. Granted the more complex the music gets, the harder it gets... but you also progress as a player... and well, it all fits. Also you start learning what diferent chords, and notes sound like, and where you are going to find those chords, notes, and sounds on the fretboard. And for me anyways, im just getting to the point that im starting to understand chord progressens a little, and then you kinda have a slight idea of where the song needs to go... and a idea of what chords, notes might bring you there..

Many others here have more of a clue on this stuff, but I was where you are not all that long ago, so I know how you are feeling. Just keep playing, and it will start to fall together for you. Not today... and probably not tomarrow... but hang in there, and it will come to you. Enjoy!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

there's something about the guitar that seems to make you stupid. i have no idea why, but i have the same issue. i'm a smart guy, but learning the order of chords and where it goes to the chorus or whatever in an unfamiliar song seems to take way too long. i can often improvise along on a first hearing, but i can't remember the chord order if i have to hold down the rhythm or whatever. was it gcd or gdc? is it two verses or three? i just have to muddy through it until it sinks in. i think it's just that there are so many songs with similar changes that it causes confusion.
there's just something about playing music that seems to ignore the logical mind. and there's really not a lot you can do about it besides repetition or recognizing the song form from past experience.

ReplyQuote