Clear all

weak fingers

19 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@kelly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ive noticed that my fingers are fairly weak, especially my pinky finger and its hard for me to hold it down on a string. Are there any finger stretching or strengthening exercises i could try? I do practice the chromatic scale everday as I've heard that is good for stretching across the frets(and i'm horrible at it), but i am looking more to exercises i can do when im not practicing guitar as well when i am.

~Excuse Me If I Have Someplace In My Mind, That I go From Time To Time~

(@alangreen)

It does take some time and work to develop hand strength, particularly the pinky. There are various squeezy gadgets available from your local guitar shop which will help, or try a not-too-hard rubber ball.

There is, of course, no substitute for playing your guitar to develop hand strength. Any excuse to play.....

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@adrianjmartin)
Estimable Member

There is, of course, no substitute for playing your guitar to develop hand strength. Any excuse to play.....

totally agree with that!

One problem with some exercise devices is they don't necessarily build up the correct muscles...

some styles of playing lead to a better finger workout, watch this woman play, Ana Vidovic, she was mentioned in one of the other groups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx7vOb7GNBg

bet she can open nuts with her little finger!

ReplyQuote
(@size9)
Eminent Member

Hi Kelly,

First off, I'd like to say I'm impressed. You seem very serious about the instrument... :D

Here you can find some guitar finger exercises that work for both beginner & advanced. It builds strength as well as proper finger positioning. Check out the bottom video first. Lisa isn't using her pinky finger at first in this exercise. However, as you will see, when you build strength in your 1st, 2nd & 3rd finger.... The stretch to gain enough pressure on the frets with your 4th finger will become easier. :mrgreen:

Learn How To Play Guitar With Today's Top FREE Videos. Learn To Play Guitar, See Reviews, Shop Beginner Guitars and much more!....

Interested in Guest Blogging For GuitarZonline? Apply @ our Guitar Guest Blog!

ReplyQuote
(@kelly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hi Kelly,

First off, I'd like to say I'm impressed. You seem very serious about the instrument... :D

Thanks size9! I am very serious about this as i told myself that before i die, i want to learn to play guitar. And look at me! I am learning! The spider exercise is almost exactly the same as the chromatic scale except for not using the 4th fret on the one string (3rd?). I hope to someday be able to do it without even looking, but i am getting slightly better. One of the hardest things i notice is plucking the right string. I miss and pluck the wrong one alot or i forget about my pinky finger altogether and use my ring finger on the 4th fret. I know it will take alot of practice. I dont mind as i really love to practice. Not sure what i will say 1 month from today lol

ReplyQuote
(@kelly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

One problem with some exercise devices is they don't necessarily build up the correct muscles...

I was looking at those..i wonder if it would be worth buying one. My fingers/hands are very weak and I have some arthritis

some styles of playing lead to a better finger workout, watch this woman play, Ana Vidovic, she was mentioned in one of the other groups.

bet she can open nuts with her little finger!

All i can say is WOW..that was amazing to watch

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I was looking at those..i wonder if it would be worth buying one. My fingers/hands are very weak and I have some arthritis

In that case, don't get one

I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kelly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

isnt the point of using one to strengthen? Maybe it would be beneficial. Do many guitarists use them? Do they work?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Go to a toy shop and find a couple of spongey rubber balls. Use one in each hand.

The advantage of balls is that you can move them around and concentrate on particular fingers.

You could also buy an Esteban guitar and practice with that. You'll have hands like Arnie's biceps in no time. :lol:

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@modeltrainhead)

ive noticed that my fingers are fairly weak, especially my pinky finger and its hard for me to hold it down on a string. Are there any finger stretching or strengthening exercises i could try? I do practice the chromatic scale everday as I've heard that is good for stretching across the frets(and i'm horrible at it), but i am looking more to exercises i can do when im not practicing guitar as well when i am.
same here brotha

ReplyQuote
(@kelly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

You could also buy an Esteban guitar and practice with that. You'll have hands like Arnie's biceps in no time. :lol:

why an Esteban?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sorry, Kelly, a bit of an in-joke. Esteban guitars are, shall we say, not the best quality. One customer was "so impressed" that he turned his into a bird box.

The action is so high on some of them it would give a tight-rope walker a nose bleed.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@adrianjmartin)
Estimable Member

why an Esteban?

I think greybeard is taking a pop at a cheap classical guitar that is sold by various means, usual TV Shopping Channels....
(There's quite a few opinions about the quality of a Esteban available!)

That said a Classical guitar usual has a much higher action(string height above the fretboard) than a Steel Strung Acoustic or electric. So the player has to press the strings down much further/harder to fret the note. So you actually can gain a lot of strength playing one.

ReplyQuote
(@kelly)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

ahh ok i get it now. I take it high action is not good? I have a Silvertone and it seems to be a nice learner

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

isnt the point of using one to strengthen? Maybe it would be beneficial. Do many guitarists use them? Do they work?

If you have any arthritic condition, you shouldn't embark on a physical programme without running it by your GP first. Arthritic conditions are characterised by degeneration of the bone structure and you shouldn't do anything which might accelerate the process.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2