Notifications
Clear all

Weekend warrior program - a tale

55 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Another rehearsal over. I'm going with the flow now: what will be will be. :roll:

I'm wondering if I should buy a small effect pedal (or multi effect) that I can carry with me, just to improve the sound a bit instead of running the Strat straight into the amp.

Good. You're in the right head space. Just remember not to give in to the temptation to think too much and second guess yourself during the performance. Your body knows what to do. Let it. (Cue Obi-Wan Kenobi whispering 'Use the Force, Angel")

Also, adding an effect pedal now would be a very bad idea. I learned the hard way to never EVER add new equipment at a show. Practice with it first so you have time to learn what settings work with the band, and can develop the timing to switch on and off exactly in the right places.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Are you doing Echo Beach? Love that song! (I think Martha and the Muffins are Canadian, though)

Have a great time at the show. There are going to be mistakes no matter what. No one, newbie or pro of fifty years and thousands of perfomances, plays without them. Enjoy yourself and enjoy sharing the music. The audience wants you to have a good time so it, too, can just enjoy the music. You'll do better than you think.

And then you won't be able to wait until doing it again!

Looking forward to hearing how things go on Sunday.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I would pass on the effects for now myself. Maybe a little touch from a tube driver pedel if it was me, but thats just becouse I like a little overdrive wormth in my tone. [if I can call what sounds I make "tone" :D] If your pretty happy with your sound now, I would wait till after though.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Bout three months ago, I was the one having first gig jitters- folks here were really supportive and insightful.

Nice forum, isn't it?
To heck with the jitters ..... I'm just looking for first gig. :lol: We are still practicing in earnest ...... just have to sort out the drummer thing. I have played in front of people before, just not in a while. I'm not the jittery kind though. We are probably too cocky for our own good.

Ditto on no changes so close to the show. Try it after if you want. You will do fine and despite the jitters have oh so much more fun than I do playing to no one in The Man Cave. :roll:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Well I gotta say you inspired me!! I just answerd a ad for a informal jam group... Im not very good, and only know a song or two, never performed in front of people.. but you gotta start somewere!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@titus)
Eminent Member

I think Sheryl Crow can be played in any old fashion. Almost like Alanis Morissette. so no FX needed to sound good ;) it's rock and roll, there's no wrong way to do it 8)

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the replies re the effects unit. I will keep things as they are for the gig on Sunday.

I did do a little research last night and found a small Zoom unit that is heavily discounted as it is a superseded unit, so I might buy it to throw into my jam bag. It's cheap enough that if it "wanders", I won't be gutted.

And apologies for calling Martha and the Muffins English. In the back of my brain, I did know they were Canadian :wink:

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well I gotta say you inspired me!! I just answerd a ad for a informal jam group... Im not very good, and only know a song or two, never performed in front of people.. but you gotta start somewere!!!

:D Tops! It's been a great experience so far, just getting me out and doing it. Hopefully the jam group does the same for you!

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I just want to go on the record to say you should get the pedal, just don't use it for this show since you haven't practiced with it. Those small multi FX units have a lot to offer and will keep you busy for a long while exploring new sounds. They have gotten better and better and consequently some are pretty inexpensive.

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Second what TR said-

A moderately priced multi-effects unit is a wonderful way to explore different elements of sound! I'm gradully becoming mostly an analog guy, using very few effects, all analog, for my "final sound."

But deciding which effects to explore, I always use my digitech multi-pedal at home!

All the best,
Ande

PS- TR; You'll find a gig- specially if you're willing to play for free. What are you doing about a drummer?

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

PS- TR; You'll find a gig- specially if you're willing to play for free. What are you doing about a drummer?
The drummer is tha catch right now. Tommy is out of the hospital. Do we give him another go? Maybe. Find another? Nobody beating down the door yet. My son will not play to a backing track so that is out. Just between you and me I like a drummer too. I leaning towards inviting Tommy out for a jam if he is up to it.

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Last rehearsal this morning (sans drummer).

This is it, folks. Meeting up at the pub in just over 3 hours, find out when we go on, and that determines who gets to do the soundcheck. I might just elbow my way onto the stage, regardless, just to get a feel of where things are, space, etc. If anyone is going to fall off the stage, I reckon my natural clutziness will put me at the top of the list :lol:

So, the next post will be the post-mortem, I guess :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

If anyone is going to fall off the stage, I reckon my natural clutziness will put me at the top of the list :lol:

So, the next post will be the post-mortem, I guess :wink:

You will bring the RAWK.

It's always a good idea not to stage dive the first show at a venue. Wait until the second show there. You'll have a better idea of whether the fans will catch you, or think it's funnier just to watch you face plant on the floor. :shock:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Eagerly awaiting the post!

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It was a really fun night!

We made it through all our songs, after a fashion. My singing was abysmal, but I'll cop it on the chin. (It did improve a little as the night goes on, so I'd recommend going from the last link to the first :roll: )

The guys were great, and all took everything that happened during the set really well. Noone stressed when things "glitched". David, Luke, Caterina, and our drummer Rachael, who also played with two other bands that night. Superstar!

It was an incredibly generous crowd, so that helped recover from the :? moments.

Will I do it again? In a heartbeat! And I'm much more motivated to practice now I have an idea what I can be practicing towards.

And I got to play beside a hot sax player... that was a last minute thing the bass player organised. He has some talented friends!

(There is a reprieve in the singing: Caterina sings three of the seven songs :D I'm the boofy blonde one in the middle.)

The first one is pretty bad. That was when we discovered we couldn't hear ourselves singing. I knew there was a note in there somewhere... just couldn't find it :shock:

Like Wow, Wipeout: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5qtogP_VE0

Eye of the Tiger: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMt3PvVikvk

Take It Easy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKYxuihALtU

If It Makes You Happy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5vrY6c2Vmo

Use Somebody: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5vrY6c2Vmo

Force of Nature: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67MmevYT0Xc

Echo Beach: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOnhei6Pi8g

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 4