Clear all

Weird pain in the index finger

23 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@welchsboy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I've been at the guitar for about 3 months now, and most of the "Finger pain" issues have gone away, except for one...the joint in the middle of my index finger always feels sore and hurts when I touch it. I don't have this problem in any of my other fingers, and the pain is isolated only in the middle joint of my index finger...is this a typical problem or could it be due to how I use my index finger?

(@meebit)
Eminent Member

well I've, so little, experience that I hardly know donkey from frets, but I think it's abit odd that only one finger hurst right now. Maybe your low E is higher than your other strings so it takes more force to fret it? Or maybe you have issues there. I dunno.

I've been drinking so maybe I'm, too drunk to know, lol. haha. etc.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

I'm not a doctor but it could be tendonitis in the joint, which can be aggravated by overuse.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

I would take a break from playing for a while till it heals up a bit. If it keeps happening you might want to see a doctor just in case. It's hard to say wether it's just on the outside where you're pushing down on the strings, or an actuall tendon or something.

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

I had this same problem in the summer of last year. It had nothing to do with guitar, but I know the exact feeling you're talking about. I actually got it in my ring finger on my right hand while playing basketball (when up for a rebound and yea...stubbed it).

For me, all I did was rest. I tried to avoid hitting or touching, as it felt as if it got worse if I touched. I suggest resting the finger, and if it doesn't go away go to the doctors. It could be something more serious that could be happening in your finger.

webmd.com will help to

http://www.webmd.com/hw/joint_problems/aa3146.asp (Use this as it'll take you to Finger/Hand/Wrist problems).

Hope I helped a bit.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Have you ever done anything to that finger in the past? Maybe you are stirring something up by playing guitar. Either way, I think trying to rest it then try again later might be good advice. How old are you? This could be a factor too. I'm 46 and I know my joints aint what they used to be. I say rest it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Most of my problems when playing guitar date back to old injuries.....last year, I severed a tendon, just above the middle knuckle in my fretting hand, the way it looked at the time, I thought "That's it - I'll never be able to play again....."

I couldn't even get that finger anywhere near straight for a few months.....but I practised hours and hours every day, finally I got the finger to come back to something like normal......

remember, there's no such word as "Can't".....and if there is, in your dictionary, rip the damn page out....they're wrong!!!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

^^^I suggest you just put that picture as a link since some people will throw up after seeing that. I've seen worse (MUCH WORSE), I just know some people would, lol.

ReplyQuote
(@catcha)
Trusted Member

Well weve all had injurys of one kind or another and sad as these are do we really need to be posting graphic photos of them on a guitar forum - Jeezus , give members the choice to view it or not as said .
I think everyone already knows and is sorry about your injury but you really dont need to keep on doing this .
Ive also seen much worse also but that was out of choice and this is not a medical forum or rotten.com is it .
It may also worry some new starters into thinking that was an injury caused by your guitar playing which of course it wasnt.!!!

In reply to the original post , dont just dismiss it give the guitar a break for a while it may be the start of Carpal Tunnel syndrome and you would be as well resting it for a while and maybe check your wrist position etc. :shock: :roll:

Dont give a shite about punctuation or spelling , I have to do that all day at work.
Free times for rocking !!

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

OK .. carpal tunnel won't affect the joint in your finger .... so not a worry. It affects the nerve ... median nerve. As for the picture ... WIMPS! That is nothing. It is a boo boo barely warrenting a bandaid. I am a registered nurse though, so my idea of what is gross is a little different than yours. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

^^^Both of us admited it didn't gross us out, but it would gross out some other people.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

My cat inflicts worse damage on me on a daily basis ...... joking of course. That pic is of the injury fairly well healed.

ReplyQuote
(@catcha)
Trusted Member

OK .. carpal tunnel won't affect the joint in your finger .... so not a worry. It affects the nerve ... median nerve. :lol:

Yes thats true but you can get a swollen and tender feeling in your joints due to nerve "Referal" pain , he did mention other "Finger Pain Issues" and a warning not to overdo things and checking on your hand posture and grip can save a long bout of carpel tunnel .
The nerve pain from carpel tunnel also makes it difficult (as with any nerve pain) to really know where the pain is actually coming from.

Ive suffered with bouts of it due to my guitar playing and work for many years , best to lay off the heavy practising at least till your sure , get it checked out

It wasnt so much the injury that disturbed me it was more the "uncouth" nails :wink: :D

Dont give a shite about punctuation or spelling , I have to do that all day at work.
Free times for rocking !!

ReplyQuote
(@stengah)
Trusted Member

OK .. carpal tunnel won't affect the joint in your finger .... so not a worry.

Carpal tunnel sucks. I have it in one wrist and tennis elbow in my other arm (not from playing guitar). :(

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Stupid joke (sorry)

A man goes to the doctor and says "I'm in real trouble, doc, my whole body hurts"
The doc asks "Your WHOLE body?". "Yes" comes the reply "wherever I touch, it hurts" - the man puts his finger to his head - "When I touch here it hurts" - and, then puts his finger to his chest - "And here" - touches his leg - "and here, too".
The doctor examines the patient and says "OK, I've got the answer and I'm not surprised that you hurt, no matter where you touch - you've got a broken finger.............."

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2