Clear all

weired question but just had to ask

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@guitargeek214)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ok, I was looking up tabs on the net for something new to play when I ran across the tab for "Dream On" by Aerosmith. I always had loved the song and from other peoples ratings on how good the tab was, it seemed like a good song to learn. But, my question is that, since the song was tabbed out for electirc guitar, and all I have is an acoustic, I was wondering if this song is even possible to play on the acoustic. Like I said, this is probably a really weired and stupid question to ask, but I wanted to know before I spend hours and hours trying to learn a song that I might not even be able to play. Any advice greatly apprieciated. Thanx.

(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member

Not a weird question.

No you don't have to have an electric to play any song. The sound will be different, but it won't stop you from practicing and working on the song. The only thing that could be a problem is if any of the music gets higher than the 12th fret. It can be difficult to play those notes on an acoustic unless it is a cutaway.

Hey if Clapton can do Layla on acoustic then you can do Aerosmith!

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Anything within the range of an acoustic guitar can be done. Some of it is harder, because many acoustics lack a cutaway, but it can still be done.

I've done solo shows where I do all 'electric' tunes - Steely Dan and whatnot - and people always say "I never knew you could do that on acoustic". About the only techniques you can't do are those involving controlled feeback (ala Santana) - but they're also possible with the right pickups... just not quite as controllable as with a solid body.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

Love that song, its really fun to play. I have always fingerpicked this song, the beginning anyway. But what I was wondering is, is that the way Aerosmith plays it. After listening to it, I just can't tell. Even if it is suppose to be picked, I like the sound of finger picking.

Does anyone know if the beginning of this song is picked or fingerpicked???

Dream On!

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@elgalad)
Eminent Member

I've got a copy of their live DVD, "You Gotta Move," and on there Joe Perry plays the intro with a pick, not sure about the outro though.

8)

Use the Big Muff, Luke

ReplyQuote