Clear all

What a Difference New Strings Make!

29 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I know this is more of a Guitar Maintenance topic, but other beginners like me might not be aware of the importance of replacing strings, so I'm posting it here.

I finally got the factory-installed strings replaced on my electric, and WOW what a difference! I'm in love all over again. If your strings are old, I recommend getting a new set right away. You'll be glad you did. :D

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

gene
(@gene)
Estimable Member

Margaret,
I don't have an electric, but on my accoustic it makes a big difference, like getting a new guitar everytime you change them.

ReplyQuote
(@bennett)
Reputable Member

I was pretty blown away the first time I replaced my strings on the acoustic. Couldn't believe the difference. :)

From little things big things grow - Paul Kelly

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Just read my thread -'Put new strings..wow '

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

gene wrote: like getting a new guitar everytime you change them.

It IS!

Being a newbie, I was too afraid to try changing the strings myself, which is why I put it off. Finally asked for help from my guitar teacher (we spent some lesson time doing it because I didn't want to impose on his free time), and I think I would attempt it myself the next time.

I'm definitely going to get one of those little black peg turners like he used.

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Rahul wrote: Just read my thread -'Put new strings..wow '

Rahul,

Do you remember which forum your string thread was on? I glanced through but didn't find it. Thanks!

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Yup.. I change mine at least once a month, sometimes more if I play more on just one guitar.

:)

Gotta luv that new string smell..errr sound. :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Rahul wrote: Just read my thread -'Put new strings..wow '

Rahul,

Do you remember which forum your string thread was on? I glanced through but didn't find it. Thanks!

Margaret

I am not Rahul but I will pretend I am him. The thread is HERE

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@luvgilmour)
Estimable Member

Which reminds me, I should do it again... Only takes about 15 minutes, but makes hours of difference... I have a stack of strings that I try and make notes as to playability and sound so I dial in the correct thickness and brand... Seem to like the D'Addario bronze lately...

I'll only be down there (in the basement practicing) for a couple of minutes or so...
My SoundClick Page: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=470725

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the link, Geoooooooo. oops. :lol:

I used to be skeptical that we actually need new strings so often. I figured that was just a "gourmet" kind of attitude and a waste of money. Now I'm a believer! 8)

Margaret

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

By the time you're ready to change your old strings they are pretty dead. They sound dead. When you put new ones on they are crisp as can be. Did I mention loud, too? That's why it seems like such a difference. Your ears are comparing your dead ones with shiny new ones. I personally don't like the sound of new strings until I've played on them a few days. They get stretched and retuned lots by then and they're more mellow. It is pretty funny how loud new strings are. I play electric but I'll play unplugged walking around the living room and can hear the sound bouncing off the walls. :wink:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I hate new strings on electrics - far too jangly and 'nice' for rocking out with. :)

The sound I'm after I can get from my electrics by using 10-52 gauge strings, tuning down a step (Eb to Eb), and just ramp up the treble a little to compensate for the extra bass that old strings kick out. (One is very heavy wood and very thick, the other is a shorter scale - both 'need' the jangliness reduced.) I start to get that sound after the strings have been on there for a couple of weeks, it's perfect after a month, lasting for a few months and then they need replacing after about 6 months or so. Personal preference I guess :lol:

On my electro acoustic I prefer newer strings, although for the first week or so they're still too jangly for me...

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Margaret

You are sooooooo welcome. :lol:

I really need to change my strings on both my acoustics. To tell you the truth, I really stink at changing strings and have only been successful once. I usually end up taking it back to the guitar shop. When I had an electric I changed them all the time but it seems so much harder on my acoustic guitars.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Margaret

You are sooooooo welcome. :lol:

I really need to change my strings on both my acoustics. To tell you the truth, I really stink at changing strings and have only been successful once. I usually end up taking it back to the guitar shop. When I had an electric I changed them all the time but it seems so much harder on my acoustic guitars.

Geoo

Uh...but you shine at various OTHER things :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

it seems so much harder on my acoustic guitars

Agreed! I changed the strings on an acoustic once, and that's why I was so intimidated and put off changing the strings on the electric. Think I'd hire it done for an acoustic, too. :?

Margaret

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2