Skip to content
What are some good ...

Notifications
Clear all

What are some good brands of electric guitars for beginners?

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@pyr0-fr0ggy)
Topic starter  

I am a five-year music student (on trumpet) who is very interested in learning guitar. I realize that there are many brands out there, and that some are better than others, but I had one particular guitar in mind (a starter pack) from Yamaha. Here is a link to it: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10027412&whse=BC&topnav=&cat=1515&hierPath=79*1515*
So if anybody who has experience could tell me if this would be a good choice, if this is a good brand or not, if you have had any experience with Yamaha, or if you have any other suggestions, please tell me.

(@mikey007)
Estimable Member

hey...i'm not much of an electric guy....i like my acoustic...but that yamaha doens't look bad for a begginer....and it depends what sounds u are looking for. I know squire is a good name but most only have singe coil pickups. So if u want a deeper hard rock sounds,...find a guitar with humbuckers..

Mikey

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Welcome to guitarnoise pyr0... whatever. The yamaha is a good guitar, dont know about the amp tho. Other packs are squeir(which is a fender company): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/511681/ , the epiphone(a gibson company): http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search/detail/base_pid/518745/ , and all of them: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=guitar/search?c=6243

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@weedyrs)
Eminent Member

You can find a nice fender for a good price, and Fenders are great guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@strife)
Eminent Member

i got my stagg l320(i think its an l320.. i know it a stagg l and replicates a les paul) anyway its my first electric and i love it i got it for $189 it could be something for you to try... i put it over the strat because i like the humbucker. if your looking for soemthign along the line of a cheap les paul i reccomend the stagg

EDIT : also i would reccomend seeking a real guitar shop and not going to costco... the peopel at the guitar shops can be real helpful in finding a guitar to fit you. i also reccomend trying out everything you can in your price range. i had orriginal intedned to go with a squire fat strat i had my heart set on it but when i picked up my stagg i knew it was much more my stlye

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

I would say this is a good deal, this kit is also sold in guitar stores everywhere. I agree that you should probably buy it from a good music store as they will let you open it up and see if you like it before you even buy it. The guitar looks good to me, You would eventually want a new amp, but for someone who's just starting out I think you'll like it.

It's always good to see more people around the world picking up guitars! Good luck!

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@pyr0-fr0ggy)
Topic starter  

Cool.
Thanks a lot for help. I will use this to shop around in some music stores with.
For the Yamaha kit, do you think that examining one at a music store and then buying the same one at Costco would give the same quality if I liked it?

ReplyQuote
(@lord_ariez)
Reputable Member

if its the same kit, get whichever is cheaper :D

The only difference I can think of is the shop will set it up for you if needed, and if there are any problems they can probably do more about it than costco if its a good shop

'You and I in a little toy shop, bought a bag of balloons with the money we got"

feel free to talk with me on msn at [email protected]..... no icq anymore

ReplyQuote
(@thectrain)
Estimable Member

I would recommend samick guitars. I don't think they come in a starter pack but I got my Samick AV-1 electric for 280Cdn and honestly I havn't played an electric yet(Gibsons, Epiphones, Fenders, Ibanez) that plays any better then my guitar. I've tried other guitars that cost $1000+ and they don't play any better. Just take a look they are very nice guitars.

ReplyQuote
(@blind_lemon_pye)
Trusted Member

I've got a Yamaha electric, not this type but looks very similar (it's a Pacifica 102) I bought 2 years ago. It's a very good guitar for beginners, strongly built, well balanced, stays in tune, good action, sounds good (you can always upgrade the mics). The trem is crap, but I don't use it. Besides I've heard that the quality of Yamaha guitars is very regular, so there's no bad surprise.

If I'm not in the band
Don't mean I'm square
Mercury Rev - Car Wash Air

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yamaha makes great stuff, both on the high-end and low-end of their products. I myself have been really impressed with their pacifica line, maybe you could shell out a tiny bit more and get a PAC112 together with a Behringer GM108 amp or something, shouldn't be THAT expensive.

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

The guitar seems like a Pacifica 112, which is the same as what I have, and which I would recommend to anyone, beginner or intermediate. Everyone seems to like this range. The amp is a bit of an unknown though. On the plus side the pack does come with all the accessories you could want.

I would say that if you have made up your mind to get a starter pack, you could do a lot worse than that one, but if you are open to buying separate components then you could shop around for an amp you like - I just got a Roland MicroCube which I like a lot and which is cheap - but in the end it all comes down to how much you are willing to spend and how committed you are to playing the guitar in the long-term.

Or just get an acoustic like real guitarists :)

ReplyQuote
(@blind_lemon_pye)
Trusted Member

Or just get an acoustic like real guitarists :)

It's easier for a beginner to begin playing on an electric guitar (lower action, lighter strings).

I bought my first acoustic 2 months ago, and it was a shock to find how it was difficult to play!

But now I'm in love with it!

I'm not a "real guitarist", but it sure is a real guitar!

Like a friend of mine (who's been playing for 40 years) told me: "Electric guitar are toys. Fantastic toys, but toys. Acoustic guitars are the real thing!"

Now I understand he was right.

If I'm not in the band
Don't mean I'm square
Mercury Rev - Car Wash Air

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I'll agree with purchasing one from a local shop and have them check it for playability. If you ordered on on-line and it hasn't been setup properly you will become frustrated and perhaps lose interest. On most new guitar packs like folks are talking about those companies don't really spend anytime setting them up, the frets maybe sharp or have burrs and need to be filed. Not to mention the action and intonation set.

I can't speak for that particular guitar. I did get a few hours on one called a First Act over Christmas, which me niece received. With a little adjusting here and there it played and sounded great. Even with that little amp that came with it I could get most any sound. have to add that 70% was the way I play, 20% the equipment, and 10% was from partying.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member

Dude! the guitar is absolutely GREAT! :D :D :D but the amp, i'm not too happy about. I've heard that amp, and it sounds like a piece if crap. Go for the guitar, but make sure u look at it before u take it to the counter. Maybe u should gut the axxe and the amp separately, to get absolutely what u want. Don't buy online, like the other guys said(ive had some bad experience). Although that guitar is good, go to a good shop and see if u like it.

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

ReplyQuote