What are your musical aspirations?

29 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

That has been the question from the get go with my guitar playing and possibly yours. Where do “I” want to go? Well, I've always known I wanted to get up on stage and make some extra cash while doing so.

A little story….. I've played in state championships for my old billiards team (can't afford that anymore), which we won but I could not afford nor take the time out of work or family to go to the next round. I was rated second best in the league only under my Captain. I guess my point is I'm used to “pressure situations”.

Now, I just got done with my first gig (non-paying) so to speak and did not feel any pressure because I came to grips with, 1.) I've only been playing for a year and a half and most importantly 2.) I don't consider myself as the next best thing. Not yet anyway because I'm still in the learning process but, I'm glad I'm getting this stuff out of the way and getting myself out there now (to fellow beginner's like myself, get some stuff down and get it out of the way early!!!)

With that said……

I want more! I want to go out and make money doing it! I want people to feel what I feel when I play the guitar, the dynamics, the change in feel/mood, and the power of every note and chord. Open mic's are next but, my vision is clear.

And yes, I play for the fun of it, that's why I do it but, where do you want to go with it? Or where have you been and where do you want to go from there/here?

P.S. I'm not just in it for the money but for the love of it. I want people to feel what I feel. Every highlight and every mood swing. I am who I am, and if possible, I want people to relate because life isn't always happy go lucky. Everyone has their own ups and downs and some day I want people to say that they could relate to a particular song because that's what mood they were in.

Anyways, Welcome to my head!!!

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

For me,
I just want to play for the fun of it. Just for and with family and friends.
My only goal is to sit around the camp fire and play till the wee hours.
I would not shy away from playing onstage but that is not something I am looking to do.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

FOR THE WOMEN! I'll be 39 years old in Sept and I've never been married...If I can just play the guitar and also get a puppy I'll be all set!

Honestly (if you didn't believe the first part!) just for fun. Maybe someday I'll get up in a band situation but my career is all set as a teacher. Guitar is one of my SERIOUS hobbies...I do a lot of bike riding, I tinker with computers, I manage a website, and I tinker with computer graphics (not very good I may add!). Plus I am an Amateur photographer (VERY amateur!)...

I have ALWAYS wanted to play the guitar and yes I have had those dreams of playing in front of a large crowd but it just a dream...not a goal. I promised myself that this time I WILL teach myself how to play the guitar. I have failed too many times and this time I will succeed!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Lets see, sometimes after I play for a long time I need to take a couple of aspirins. Never mind, that wasn't the question.

This is a tough one. I have been playing for a long time but don't consider myself more then beginner to intermediate mostly because I took a long break and got back into it about a year ago and basically started over.

My short term goal is to get better than I was before the break and I am close to that in some ways and way ahead in many other ways. Very comfortable with strumming and rhythm but need a lot of work on lead and improv.

I just know for sure that I want to get good enough that I can pickup the guitar and play with just about anybody (lets rule out super stars here) and feel comfortable and be able to keep up.

But I can't forget the simple fact that I love music and the guitar is the best way I have found so far to express that love. I know I will be happy wherever it takes me. I also know now that this time I will get buried still playing the guitar (probably after I get killed on the motorcycle :lol:)

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Great post Tracker! :D

Your determination and your love for playing shone through so strongly. You'll make it. I came across this quote somewhere yesterday, sounds like you. :)

“Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.” – Former president Calvin Coolidge

Should be in the front of every guitar book. :)

But, enough about you and Calvin C - let's talk about ME!! (Slaps table and cackles..) :D :shock:

My ambition is to make what I call "verandah music". In other words to be able to sit on my verandah (porch??) with my feet up and play (and "sing") a few songs, and improvise a few too. Just me and the birds and anyone who can stand the noise... Just for the joy of it....

I'm getting a bit old for the rock star fantasy (60 next year, and only been playing for a year) but if I can get good enough to entertain myself and maybe do the "campfire" thing that Missileman mentioned - that would be a goal too I guess.

But to play on stage? Hmm... as Mikespe said maybe a dream, but not really a goal.

Years ago I wrote the libretto for a musical comedy that played in the city here, and successfully toured some country towns. I wrote the words and friends with talent handled the musical side of things. One of the happiest memories of my life was standing at the back of a packed hall listening to the sound of people laughing at my words, and enjoying something I'd helped create. So being the guy on stage is kind of a nice dream too. :shock: :D

But a goal.... well... I'm certainly not ready to admit it after only a year of learning (and a pretty lazy year at that). Show me a guitar player who never had a day dream about being up there, with a few thousand people roaring along with their playing, and I'll show you someone with NO imagination whatever!. So ask me again in another couple of years!!!

All the best with your goals.

ReplyQuote
(@rodya-s-thompson)
Estimable Member

Even though I've only been playing for about a year and a half and I'm already 20, I feel like it's fulfilling part of me that was always there, and bringing more of my potential to the surface. I love it because it's always challenging - if there's something that's easy, I work at it until it's perfect, and if there's something that's hard, I work at it until it's easy. :)

But more importantly, I've always loved performing for people. I love being in front of a crowd, and I love the energy that people get from good, lively music. I've also always been good with melodies, and I'm putting my long-practiced writing skills to use with lyrics. (I'm getting the singing and playing thing down!) I just feel that people get hung up on being "the next Hendrix" or "the next Jimmy Page" and they should really just be themselves, and play the music they feel from their soul.

I would love to make some serious money from it, but I know that only comes with luck, massive sacrifice, and constant drive. (I'm good for the last one most of the time, the second one less of the time, and as long as it doesn't involve card games, I should be good for that first one too!)

So I'll keep practicing, I'll keep sticking my neck out looking for some good people for a band, and if I can "get a band powerful enough to turn goat piss into gasoline", I'll give it all I've got, because even if I don't make it, I'll have plenty of fun and stories for the kids. :-D

Henry Garza, Saul Hudson, and Darrell Abbott could not be here tonight, but they all had sex and are proud to announce the birth of their two-headed baby, Rodya S. Thompson.

- Paraphrased from the Tenacious D series

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

At one point in my life, I wanted to be the next great guitar god. I was 15, playing studio gigs, and I had the chops to go far.

A nasty accident that nearly cost me my left arm, and did cost me 15 years of not being able to play the guitar have lowered my aspirations to being better today than I was yesterday, and being better tomorrow than I was today.

I'm still good enough to get up on a stage, and I may do that again at some point. But for me, right now, just the joy of making music is what I want.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@vegas_jay)
Trusted Member

I just want to play for some fun, to be able to play along with songs that I like and maybe even to make up some music of my own. It would be fun to play with other musicians, but I don't really want to get up on a stage.

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member

I just want to get good enough to hang out and play. I love hanging out with my neighbor and playing, hanging out with my brother and playing, or sitting quietly at the house when my fiance has time to play bass.

I dont just want to do things by rote though. I enjoy blues improv more than playing someone elses songs. I've been trying to put music with words lately, which has been fun.

I've actually played in public (never lead...I am not confident enough for that), and I enjoyed that, but its not how I want to make my living. I've played for everything from a biker bar to a new age bookstore, to open jam night at a local sports bar.

To me it's about having fun and hanging out. I aspire to nothing more than that, and for me it's enough.

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Great post!! My aspirations are pretty simple. I'm 35, already have the career but I would love to get in a little band that plays from time to time. I dont really care if its for money or just the fun of it.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

agreed great post!
i'm like most of you, i just wanna get proficient enough to keep up with folks, maybe do some open mike stuff and have fun. :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@rik-anderson)
Estimable Member

To be able to sit on my patio, the coals from the BBQ glowing, a few beers and a couple of friends with guitars.

But then again to be able to walk out at the new Wembly stadium in front of 80,000 people might be quite cool :shock: :shock:

The only thing that keeps me from realising my full potential is the depressing awareness that it wouldn't take much time or effort...

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I think where I want to go evolves with time.

At first I wanted to practice guitar alone with the horrible sounds I was making so the neighbors couldn't hear it and I almost couldn't see the day when I would be able play it.

Then I didn't mind practicing in front of my girlfriend. Now I can play a song and sing it to her at the same time and she loves it. So do I.

I also now would like to write a lesson for each song I can play blindfolded (when I learn more of them) to help others to learn and to learn hopefully a little easier than it was for me. I believe all knowledge and skill should be passed on to someone else, at least one other person or it is wasted.

I also now see the day when I would like to get together with others to form a little casual band for playing and enjoying.

I see down the road evolving into getting involved with playing for strangers, even if only the local coffee shop where people just plug into a little practice amp and start playing whatever they want.

The first time I saw my girlfriends face light up when I finally did something called real music......things changed. It felt good.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
(@dl0571)
Reputable Member

Well, this is quite the question. I've been playing since I was 16, I'll be 18 next month. Im still young enough to actually take this somewhere if that's what I really wanted. I don't know where my playing is going to take me, just like I don't know where life it going to take me. When I get up to college (19 days) Im looking to start, or at least attempt to start and all acoustic band (1 or 2 acoustic gutiars, acoustic bass and bongos/congas, and maybe a sax). Im going to a school that's rather well known for their music program, so finding musicians shouldn't be hard. Finding musicians with my particular musical aspirations, however, may be.

Even if that doesn't work out, I'd be fine with playing small coffee shops and such. I don't want to be a rock star or anything like that. I just love performing and the guitar is the vehicle through which I can express myself to others. I never feel more alive than when Im playing for people and can see that they're enjoying it. To me, there is nothing better than that.

"How could you possibly be scared of being bad? Once you get past that, it's all beautiful." -Trey Anastasio

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

My aspirations are pretty simple -- play better tomorrow than I did today. And learn something new each time if I can.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2