Notifications
Clear all

What brand/type of strings?

15 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@aluth23)
Topic starter  

I'm new to the guitar and got a morris acoustic guitar. It had strings on it that were probably from 1980 when it was given to me and the first day i tried to tune it one busted, everything i read said to put all new one's on so i went to best buy and bought these...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7805896&st=guitar+strings&lp=2&type=product&cp=1&id=1157067060756

Sadly i live in a small town and the only music shop is closed when i would be able to go to it so best buy was my only choice, next to walmart (shuders). I've been playing for about two weeks, an hour a day and my fingers don't' seem to be getting much better. am i a wuss and need to stick with it, or are these strings not the right type for a beginner? They are really hard to press down and i can make the chords but have to press down extremely hard to make them ring clear. I don't know much about the brand of guitar i have or the year for that, but the strings sit about 3/16th of an inch from the fret board. Any suggestions would be great cause i am going to have to order strings from the net and don't really know where to start looking!

:oops: Thanks, A

And I'm just fine with all my time
To live until I die~B.C.

(@clazon)
Honorable Member

It will be hard on whatever strings you get in the beginning to get a clear sound! Unfortunately...

Sticking with it will always help with guitar and musical instruments in general. A standard set of Martin 9s (strings are spoken about as regards the width of their highest pitched/1st string) for an acoustic guitar should be fine. For an acoustic guitar you want brass strings- not nylon (classical guitars) or steel (electric).

If you have any more doubts about the early stages by all means ask. I remember I was pretty insecure about stuff like this when I first started.

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@clau20)
Reputable Member

I like Martin string for acoustic guitar

" First time I heard the music
I thought it was my own
I could feel it in my heartbeat
I could feel it in my bones
... Blame it on the love of Rock'n'Roll! "

ReplyQuote
(@dave-t)
Reputable Member

For my Yamaha Acoustic I have tried:

D'addario Light Gauge Phosphor-Bronze
Martin Lights
Washburn Light

The last was a $5 set from Wal-Mart, would not buy them again. The top two were $10 a set, both good strings, though I find the D'addario have a shorter break in and generally a warmer brighter tone that I prefer.

As a beginner, I can't see a benefit in you using anything but a light gauge string.

ReplyQuote
(@fingerbanger)
Eminent Member

You said there is a Wal-Mart in your town. If I'm not mistaken they sell GHS strings. I've used GHS for years off and on and they're not too bad. They're cheap too. If you're playing an acoustic, the stings may turn your fingers black for a while. Don't panic. That's just the copper and the bronze rubbing off on your fingers. It won't hurt you. Go with really light strings. .009-.042 for example.

Let that boy boogie woogie, cuz' it in em' and it got to come out. -John Lee Hooker-
There is no substitute for experience. So get out there and break some strings on stage. -F.B.-

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I have not been to Wal-Mart for a couple of years, but the DO sell guitar strings???

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@fingerbanger)
Eminent Member

I have not been to Wal-Mart for a couple of years, but the DO sell guitar strings???

The one in my area does.

Let that boy boogie woogie, cuz' it in em' and it got to come out. -John Lee Hooker-
There is no substitute for experience. So get out there and break some strings on stage. -F.B.-

ReplyQuote
(@aluth23)
Topic starter  

Well it was a lucky Monday, a new guitar shop opened up right across from my work so i went and and asked the guy what he would recommend. He gave me D'addario light, said they would be much better than the fender ones i got at best buy and if they didn't improve he had some silk steel ones that he put on his wife's guitar and he said they sound a little different but feel great and are good to learn on. Just re stringed and going to start messing around, we'll see how they do! And my local walmart did have a few brands but it was normal walmart chaos and i didn't get to see what brands really, just saw that they carried a few.

thanks for the advice!

To live until I die~B.C.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I like the D'Adarios just fine. Be careful of guitar shops though. Lots of stuff to look at in there and it'sw real easy to aquire GAS.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@madisgp)

I doubt there is anything wrong with those Fender strings except that you're using .12-.53. Thats some pretty heavy strings for a beginner. I use that size on my dobro for bottle neck slide but not an any other guitars. I wouldn't worry about brands just yet. You'll try lots of different brands over the years and figure out which ones you like. Focus on gage right now. Light strings to learn on. .09's is what you'll want to start with. As your hands get stronger you might want to get thicker strings for a richer sound.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I'm very happy with the GHS Silky and Bronze (11). I maintained them very fresh several weeks.

ReplyQuote
(@viper)
Eminent Member

I like the D'Adarios just fine. Be careful of guitar shops though. Lots of stuff to look at in there and it'sw real easy to aquire GAS.
I buy something everytime I step into guitar center.
It truly is the work of the Devil.

Ibanez RG3EXFM1

ReplyQuote
(@crkt246)
Honorable Member

I LOVE the D'Adario 80/20's!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

For Acoustic I really like the Ernie Ball Earthwood strings, they make my $99 acoustic sound rich, warm, and full.

For a beginner I would recommend the Ernie Ball Earthwood Silk and Steel Strings. I put a set on my Mom's acoustic and her guitar is so easy to play, pressing down strings is almost effortless, it also makes playing barre chords not as tiring.

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@aluth23)
Topic starter  

Sounds good! i'll have to check those out the next time i need a set!

For Acoustic I really like the Ernie Ball Earthwood strings, they make my $99 acoustic sound rich, warm, and full.

For a beginner I would recommend the Ernie Ball Earthwood Silk and Steel Strings. I put a set on my Mom's acoustic and her guitar is so easy to play, pressing down strings is almost effortless, it also makes playing barre chords not as tiring.

To live until I die~B.C.

ReplyQuote