What can I do at work?

22 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@redbeard)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the thoughts all,

I just got Tom Serb's "Music Theory for Guitarists" book today and am excited to get some reading done... going on vacation to Iowa this weekend so should have plenty of time to delve in.

And he signed it to boot, I bet its worth millions =)

Thanks again

-Jonathan

"I just curse the sun so I can howl at the moon" ~QOTSA

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

So by my count, about 75% of the people on GN are in IT. Blueline, it's no wonder you and I know everything, we're both software project managers! :D

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Hey, we HAVE to. It's the nature of the beast in project management. Client doesn't want to write the project charter- no problem, the PM will do it. Process re-engineering, risk management, procurement, QA??? No prob. One size fits all brother.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 Rune
(@rune)
Trusted Member

Funny, I'm in IT too... hmm...

It's a dry heat!

ReplyQuote
(@rr191)
Trusted Member

When I have a moment I practice finger picking patterns. I just place my hand on the top of my desk and go through the motions. It's a great way to get your fingers trained.

-- Rob

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Well...seeing as I am supposed to play my guitar at work...I work. But sometimes I get pizza on the console...or spill beer on the swivel chairs (holding the glass between my legs since I learned NOT to put beer up on the console AKA: Pepsi Syndroms)...or sink rental cars in canals. But what the hey...I actually get paid to do this! :oops:

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

So by my count, about 75% of the people on GN are in IT. Blueline, it's no wonder you and I know everything, we're both software project managers! :D

As far as I can tell about 75% of people on most forums are in IT. It seems hard to escape the conclusion that working at a computer all day can get a wee bit dull at times .... but at the same time also provides the means to wander off elsewhere and chat whilst you look like you're still working. :mrgreen:

When it comes to what you can learn without a guitar in your hand, I'd suggest that rhythm would be a possibility. With an earpiece and a music player you can learn the words and structure of a song you want to play, but also learn to identify and really feel the beats and how they relate to the song. Foot tapping is often recommended as a good way to 'build in' a sense of rhythm (and explore different rhythms) and it works that way for me. Even with a drum track blasting in my ears through headphones I still seem to follow the beat better through my foot. Good timing is crucial and even guitar wizards like Tommy Emmanuel recommend using the good old 'footronome'..

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2