Clear all

What determines how hard a guitar's string "pull"

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@pilot7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I was at the guitar store playing different guitars today and I noticed that some of the guitars have a harder string pull than others. By string pull I mean the strings require more force to move, but don't have to be moved as far to make noise. I also noticed that all the Martins I played had a hard string pull, while the Yamahas had a lighter string pull.

I absolutely love the hard string pull, it makes it a lot easier for me to play.

I currently have a Art & Lutherie guitar, which has a light string pull, similar to the Yamahas I played. My favorite guitar at the store was the Martin DXM, which had a hard string pull. I could play it flawlessly, and it had a deep tone. The store price is $619.00

So what determines how hard the string pull is?

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The gauge of the strings. A thicker string has to be pulled tighter to bring it to the same pitch.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Gauge is a big part - but so is scale length. The shorter the scale, the less 'pull' a string will have at the same pitch. A Gibson (24-3/4" scale length) will have less string tension than a Fender (25-1/2" scale length) when they're strung with identical strings.

One other factor is string composition... the tension required to bring a string to pitch depends on the mass of the string. If two strings are made of the same thing, mass is directly related to gauge - but strings aren't always made out of the same stuff. A 'normal' (80/20) bronze string has less mass than a 'phosphor' (92/8) bronze - so it takes less tension to get to the same pitch. Switching from 92/8 strings to 80/20 strings of the same gauge will reduce tension by about 2.5%.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Takes some pretty educated fingers to distinguish a 2.5% change in tension. :P

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Takes some pretty educated fingers to distinguish a 2.5% change in tension. :P

My fingers are pretty smart it's the brain that's lacking :D

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

My fingers are pretty smart it's the brain that's lacking :D

Geez, I'm the other way round. :? My brain's still reasonably nimble, but I've got the stupidest fingers you ever met. Put them anywhere near a guitar string and they stumble about, knocking into the furniture, prodding things they shouldn't and generally upsetting the neighbours. :evil:

If only I had smarter fingers I'd be up there with Clapton by nwo. See! How hard is it to spell "now" - not hard at all - but these dumb blasted fingesr I've got can't even spel to save therselves...

ReplyQuote
(@pilot7)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

How it is possible to have different scale lengths? I thought string length and distance between frets were governed by the laws of nature and had to be identical on all guitars?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The spacing between frets is relative to the scale length, just as every note is related, by frequency, to it's immediate neighbours (factor of 1.059463094)

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, my fingers aren't smart enough to tell the difference in tension between a 25.5" scale (Fender) and 24.75" scale (Gibson.)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

My fingers can tell the difference - every time I play a Gibson, I need to look at the fretboard, or I stretch too far :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote