Clear all

What does 1/2CV or 1/2CIII mean?

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm seeing this in my Classical goes Rock book, and wondering what it means. I'm guessing something about an octave up or something.

The way it's written on the staff (from the bottom up) is A(e-string)E(open e)C(1st on B string)A(2nd on G string), the only way I can figure to play this would be xx7555 to make it makes sense.

There are others like it as well, so the fingering is different like xx5433.

In Space, no one can hear me sing!

(@adrianjmartin)
Estimable Member

8va means octave up and 8vb means octave down...

according to this page http://www.mangore.com/music_notation.html the C means barre and the roman numeral is the fret to barre...

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

So does that mean the notes are played in relation to the capo? Because that would change the fingering completely. Or does the 1/2CV mean that the notes like A and E played on the E and B strings ARE what's written and that's the half barre?

The fingering shows that you are using 1 finger for the notes, so that's why I'm assuming it's right, but not sure...kind of confused a bit here.

ReplyQuote
(@fretsource)
Prominent Member

Yes, it means play the chord as a half barre at the 5th fret, i.e xx7555. If you're using a capo then play it relative to the capo.
And xx5433, could be shown as 1/2CIII

They are there to indicate what the editor considers the best fingering choice. If you ignored it and tried to play the 2nd chord (GBDG) in nut position, you would play open G plus open B, then you'd be stuck because you can't play the D on string 2 as you need it open for the B.

ReplyQuote
(@joehempel)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks! There were a couple of tricky things going on, where you went from 1/2CIII to 1/2CV for one note. The way that it was saying to finger it was an open high e, but it said to play it on the 4th string, which confused me, but the way it was written it finally clicked that it wasn't the E that was meant to be played on the 4th string...so the fingering went:

1/2CV - xx75x0 hammering on to xx77x0....this has been an interesting experience to say the least.

ReplyQuote