Skip to content
What gear should I ...

Notifications
Clear all

What gear should I get to play nu metal?

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@eugene_3105)
Topic starter  
Hi. Could anyone give me some advice concerning what gear I should get to start playing nu-metal? (Just for the record: Until now, I`ve only been playing a classic guitar.)
I would love to gather a set of quality equipment for a reasonable price to play nu-metal riffs. I mean, music like Papa Roach, Linkin Park, Deftones. Maybe even Korn or Slipknot.
So, I think, I've already decided what guitar I`m going to get - Ibanez GRG 121DX (Would love to hear some comments on it as well). However, I've been wondering what kind of amp and pedal to get without busting the bank.

1)On the one hand, I could get VOX VX15 GT with a guitar processor already installed in it and do without any pedals.
These are the affects of the amp: 8 MODULATION (CHORUS, FRANGER, ORG PHASE, TWIN TREM), DELAY / REVERB (A.DELAY, TAPE ECHO, SPRING, HALL).
The amp models are: DELUXE CL, BOUTIQUE CL, BOUTIQUE OD, VOX AC30, VOX AC30TB, BRIT 1959, BRIT 800, BRIT VM, SL-0D, DOUBLE REC.
It actually seems like a good choice, but I feel like I am not going to get enough of that heaviness and distortion that I need to play Deftones for instance. Also, I`m not sure if the affects are right. I don`t know maybe this amp is actually a good choice...

By the way, I'm going to practice at home, so I don't need a huge amplifier.

2)I've also been thinking of getting a basic amp like Marshall MG15G and getting a couple of pedals (for distortion and the necessary affects). This variant sounds much more realistic and reliable to me, but the pedals and the amp are probably going to cost much more. I think, I'm not gonna be able to afford it.

Could anyone tell me which variant to choose? I would also love to hear some other suggestions concerning the gear that I should get. I'd be really gratefull for a piece of advice.

By the way, English isn't my first language, so please excuse my errors.