Skip to content
What is required on...

Notifications
Clear all

What is required on this one? Time or ability?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Just a quick question, but as some of you may know I recently did a (poor :oops: ) attempt on the first solo from Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb. I'm getting what I think is pretty proficient now at that one, so I am being drawn to the second solo . . . but things seem a lot more daunting here. :shock:

Is this solo simply beyond the realm of someone who has only been playing for 8 months or does it just need lots of practice and determination?

Thanks. :)

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Time combined with hard work, dedication and a little muscle memory.

If you want to speed up the process, slow down the track (bpm). Reeeaaaaalllllyyyyyy listen to it, play it note for note, on time, and then increase the bpm after a "set goal" of perfect successions. If you have an EQ out, you can mess around with the frequencies to dial in (somewhat) to the instrument you need.

In time, you'll be playing it while having a conversation about daily events. Muscle memory also helps during those times you "forgot where to go" but somehow ended up there anyway.

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply. :)

I'm slowly working my way into it, bit by bit. It's quite different to solos I've previously played (and my repetoire is somewhat limited anyway!) but I shall persevere . . . practice makes perfect as they say! :D

Rob

Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

yash,

Actually you played the first solo quite well for someone playing for only 8 months, but I'm curious as to why you are concentrating on those solo's. Mike's right it's probably going to take some hard work and dedication to get a solo like that down note for note at this stage. I'm not saying you can't but, if you spend weeks/months practicing and it you still don't get it what then? Will you give up?

Can you play some songs completley allt he way through yet? If not I think that will get you farther than learning some solo's that may take awhile.

I would step back and try and learn the rhythm to songs that have fairly easy solos and then learn those solo's this way you can either play the lead or the rhthym.

Anyway that's my two cents for what it's worth.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@stacktrayce)
Eminent Member

Sounds like decent advice, but sometimes there are just parts you WANT to learn :). I have been playing since April and can play a few simple songs all the way through and am working on some more to practice certain techniques like arpeggios now. I would really love to hear a recommendation of a song with an approachable solo. I practice my scales a fair amount and can learn riffs with practice. If I could find a relatively simple song that not only had chords but also a place with a learnable solo I would love it. Any ideas?

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advice chaps.

Cnev, yeah I can play some simpler ones (such as Greenday Holiday, Chilli Peppers Californication, Fortune Faded etc.) and of course simple rythym all the way through songs are generally fine (except where they require barres to be used on an acoustic . . . don't have the strength for that yet! :oops: ) and I know my basic chords.

I shall have to do a bit digging about and find some songs to learn in the meanwhile perhaps. Reason for my minor obcession with Comfortably Numb is I absolutely love that solo! The first one was good fun to learn and nice to play, but it's definately lacking compared to the second one. :lol:

Rob

ReplyQuote