Notifications
Clear all

What key to solo in?

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@funkymunk)
Topic starter  

Ok, I'm making a solo for a song but I don't know what scale to use. (1 of the problems that come when you teach yourself to do something!)

Here are the chords -

Verse - Em D C G
Chorus - F A G

There will be an improv style over the verse and solo with the chorus backing.

Thanks,

Dave

(@davidhodge)

Is the "A" in the chorus A major or just an A5 powerchord?

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@funkymunk)
Topic starter  

Its an A5

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

That makes things a lot easier.

Before getting into all this, though, please remember that just finding a scale to use for a solo is only one possible answer. There are other options as well, and getting in the habit of thinking that one scale will always answer your call isn't the best mindset for a guitarist.

Anyway, having said that, the verse chords are all in the key of G major - so you can use the G major or G major pentatonic scale and not worry about a thing. It's the F in the chorus that throws things off. An F chord has F, A and C. If that A5 had been an A major, then you'd have A, C# and E on top of that and you wouldn't find a simple single scale that would work.
But because it's an A5 (with just A and E), you can use the G Mixolydian scale, which is a C major scale using G as your tonal center. In other words, G, A, B, C, D, E and F.

There are, of course, all sorts of other answers. Without hearing the song and the way the melody resolves in regard to the chord changes, it's hard to make recommendations. Folks who live by pentatonics will switch from G to C in the chorus, trying to use the G and D notes (part of the G chord) as targets. You can also come up with riffs or phrases that will work over both verse and chorus, or that will work with very minor alterations. That sort of technique is very cool to listen to. So is hanging on to one or two certain notes while the chords are changng underneath.

I hope this helps more than confuses. Welcome to Guitar Noise, by the way. Take a moment and introduce yourself over on the "Meet and Greet" page if you have the time or desire.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@funkymunk)
Topic starter  

Cheers, thats really helped alot!!!

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I was thinking on the key of G and playing either Em or G solo. David, that was a great descption on how to play that!

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote